Thread: Disk utility won't partition under mac os 10.5.6... help!

Beans

Question Disk utility won't partition under mac os 10.5.6... help!

Hello,

I am new to Ubuntu and Linux. I currently have a first gen MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.5.6. My goal is to be able to dual boot Mac OS and Linux. I understand that I first need to partition my existing internal HD so that I can install Ubuntu on the new partition.

My problem: When I attempt to use the Disk Utility to partition the drive (with PLENTY of space) I get an error saying that there is not enough free space on the drive. Right now I've got about 20 gigs free, and I want to partition about 12 gigs of that space for Ubuntu. (I'm just playing around for now, so no need for a larger partition at this point.) But even still, that would leave 8 gigs free for Mac OS!

I know I can't be the only person experiencing this problem! I "googled it" and the only thing I could find was some crap about having files on the hard drive over 2 gigs that could be causing this. That makes absolutely no sense to me, and it's impossible for me to delete all of the files over 2 gigs on my drive, since I have some large game files that I can't get rid of.

Can somebody please help me with this once and for all?

Thanks people!

-David

p.s. Sorry if it's already been addressed, I just didn't see it. Thanks again.

Beans

Re: Disk utility won't partition under mac os 10.5.6... help!

I'm in a similar boat, I tried partitioning my clamshell (2001 vintage). The mac says the disk is locked. Stubborn as I am, I created an AltCD to load Ubuntu (Intrepid at the time). After holding down the correct keyboard letter (I'll have to look it up), the CD booted and things looked well. I got a few steps into the installation when the program said it couldn't mount my CD-drive, it wasn't recognized...so disappointing.

So now I'm back to the beginning. If I didn't have the unrecognized CD problem, might I have been able to partition from the Ubuntu installation utility?

More importantly, should I risk loading ubuntu on a mac that is so old?
    I recently updated our Dell desktop and twin compaq Evo N610c laptops (for the kids) with Ubuntu. All three were having trouble with windows. Now they hummmm. I'm very happy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Your post did not say. When you try to use disk utility are you booting off of the install disk? That is the only way you can use Disk Utility to partition.

Beans

I tried in many ways to resize partitions without destroying them, using Boot Camp and Disk Utility from the install dvd, but to no avail. I had to destroy, resize and restore the backup from Time Machine. It's not a big deal.

HTH
    stef