Thread: Fan regulation problems - Jaunty on MBP 2,2

Beans

Fan regulation problems - Jaunty on MBP 2,2

Hi all,

I'm having two problems with fan regulation with Jaunty on Macbook Pro 2,2. I've went through all the specific setups on dedicated page for Ubuntu on MacbookPro (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro). Both issues occurred under Intrepid and Hardy but I haven't worked that much under Linux so it didn't bother me as much.

First, the regulation is too slow in responding to load. When I'm doing something intensive (like sci. computations), the temperature will spike to say 90 C and remain there for 4-5 mins before the fan regulation kicks in and spins fans from 2000 rpm to 6000 rpm. I know that I could set the speed manually, but I don't want to - for example OS X does a fine job, with regulating the speed, i.e. it is responsive, so I would like something similar in Ubuntu.

Second, after I restart Linux, the regulation goes crazy. Fans might be running but the fan monitor shows both fan speeds oscillating from 0 rpm to 2000 rpm. Moreover, this time there is no response to higher load - the computer just heats up. The way I resolve this is to do a hard reboot which, I presume, resets some hardware settings and lets the software regulation take over as usual.

Please let me know if you know of solutions to any of these problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Fan regulation problems - Jaunty on MBP 2,2

some users have made some scripts to better regulate the fan speed. They are floating around the forum here.