Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless issues with WUSB54GC v3

Beans

Re: Wireless issues with WUSB54GC v3

Okay, I reinstalled Jaunty and got it to install. The card detects my wireless network, but refuses to connect to it. I have no security on the network, so I have no idea what would be causing it to fail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Laundry View Post
    Okay, I reinstalled Jaunty and got it to install. The card detects my wireless network, but refuses to connect to it. I have no security on the network, so I have no idea what would be causing it to fail.
    Looks like we're in the same boat man! There's 2 wireless networks in my house, 1 with security, 1 without. They both show up in the network manager but I can't connect to either.

I guess you don't need to know anymore, but for future reference you can install build-essential offline by using the Ubuntu CD just type the following in a terminal with the CD in the drive:

sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential

Beans

try this
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-tro...comment-page-1

I was able to connect to an open connection using these settings. My network manager still shows as no connection, but its a start

/editx2
    Apologize i still have yet to get WPA to work with this adapter when i thought it was working, my router was still set in open mode :-/

// Edit
    Just tried this out with WPA2, the instructions work great for the rt2870 wireless nic. for the rt/ra devices these instructions work, but there is still the issue of Firefox not knowing the connection is actually alive and will start in off line mode
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig [interface] down
    sudo dhclient -r [interface]
    sudo ifconfig [interface] up
    sudo iwconfig [inteface] essid “ESSID_IN_QUOTES”
    sudo iwpriv [interface] set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    sudo iwpriv [interface] set EncrypType=TKIP
    sudo iwpriv [interface] set WPAPSK=”YOUR_WPA_PSK_KEY”
    sudo dhclient [interface]
    and note to get "YOUR_WPA_PSK_KEY" use
    Code:
    wpa_passphrase ESSID_IN_QUOTES PSK_PASSWORD
    where PSK_PASSWORD is the password you use to generate the WPAPSK key
    Last edited by hmmdar; May 18th, 2009 at 02:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

jimbob, my adapter seems to have a new (rt3070) chipset (i just did lsusb and it shows 1737:0077, that's what that means right?).

My adapter recognizes wireless connections using radixors instructions with rt2870 but I can't seem to connect.

What method did you use to get it working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm copying this from a PM between me and Dragonkeeper about a month ago.
    You can read my original thread (if you haven't already) at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=rt3070

Here is what else I did: (most of this from README_STA in main directory)

1) in ...os/linux/usb_main_dev.c added line {USB_DEVICE(0x1737,0x0077)} /* Linksys WUSB54GC */
    2) in ...os/linux/config.mk set 2 lines referring to WPA_SUPPLICANT to "y".
    3) created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ra0 and added lines;
    DEVICE='ra0'
    ONBOOT='yes'
    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    4) added line in /etc/modules.conf => alias ra0 rt3070sta
    5) created (modified) the supplied RT3070STA.dat for my own SSID and WPA2-PSK; then did make install to get it inserted in /etc/Wireless/RT3070. NOTE!! You will find that what is created is named /etc/Wireless/RT3070STA/RT3070STA.dat.
    You must rename this to /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat because this is what the system ends up looking for.

I gave up spending more time on it for now as I am using a D-Link DWL-G122 which works OOTB with Jaunty that was purchased for $14.99 with free shipping on E-Bay.
    Good luck with yours.
    Registered Linux User #400396
    ... "Let me summarize the early days of software in one sentence: In the beginning, there was software, and it was free."

Beans
    Distro

Awesome jimbob I'll give that a whirl today, thanks so much!

Beans

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but my wusb54gc adapter does not even show up in Ubuntu 9.04. My adapter does not say if it is version 3 or not but it does have a date of 12/2006 so I'm guessing it is a version prior to 3. I have read probably a hundred posts on this adapter and all of them have stated that the adapter at least shows up in "lsusb". Anyone have an idea where I start on this? There are so many posts on so many versions of this adapter, I don't know where to start because I can't get Jaunty to recognize it to get the chipset.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro

Just some random thoughts here.

If you are using a cable, plug it in directly to the USB port.
    It should definitely show up when plugged in with the lsusb command.
    Bring up the system logs from the main menu and select syslog and scroll to the very bottom. Then plug it in and watch the log. Do you see anything at all? Does it even recognize that anything has been plugged?

As a last desperate resort does it work in Windows? Does Windows see it at all when it is plugged in?
    ... "Let me summarize the early days of software in one sentence: In the beginning, there was software, and it was free."

Beans

Thanks for your help JimBob.

Yes the adapter works with XP. I have been using it for about two years under windows. I could never get this adapter to work with any Ubuntu distro starting with Ubuntu 7.

I checked the syslog as I plugged and unplugged the adapter and...nothing--it does not show up at all. Do I have to have the driver for this adapter loaded before Ubuntu will notice it? I need to mention again that this adapter is a version 1.
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

If you don't see ANY evidence (even a one-liner about a USB device being plugged) in the system log I don't think you have a prayer.
    I don't understand that at all - especially if it works in ex pee.

Take a look at this link to see if you can find anything about a Version 1 - I could not. Is it definitely a WUSB54GC v1 made by Linksys?

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_alles.php

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast