Thread: My BIOS cant be configurated to autoboot my PC, any solution through Ubuntu?

Beans

My BIOS cant be configurated to autoboot my PC, any solution through Ubuntu?

Hi,

just that, any idea?

Bye

Beans

Re: My BIOS cant be configurated to autoboot my PC, any solution through Ubuntu?

I'm not absolutely certain by what you mean by "autoboot."

If by autoboot you mean to turn on from a powered-off state at a certain time, then Ubuntu (or any other OS) really can't help you; when the system is powered down, the operating system is not loaded in memory, so no triggers defined within it can occur.

This is something that should be set within the BIOS. However, you have already tried that route. Your next recourse is to find out who built your motherboard and see if there are any firmware updates for your specific board. Re-flashing the BIOS to a newer version--like I said, be forewarned as they ARE board-specific and one not meant for your board can render it unusable--could provide the timer functions you are missing.

Or have I completely misunderstood what you were asking? If so, describe what you are wanting in more detail, and I'll see what I can come up with.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Linux: Because my business ISN'T "Everybody's Business"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My BIOS cant be configurated to autoboot my PC, any solution through Ubuntu?

^^^^ If that isn't what you mean, then maybe you mean boot from your CD/DVD drive in order to install Ubuntu? If so, I believe there's some work around with grub that lets you boot from a USB drive (flash stick). Don't quote me on this.

EDIT: Have you tried setting your bios to boot from your CD/DVD drive? I don't know, maybe you haven't . Also, you can install Ubuntu inside of Windows with out the need to burn a CD (just mount the ISO with Daemon Tools). Or if you are lazy and don't want to do that, just download Wubi and install Ubuntu inside of Windows like that, it's noob proof.
    Last edited by Tipped OuT; May 9th, 2009 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

OK, I'm really confused here...how do flash drives and wubi fit into setting a system to autoboot?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Linux: Because my business ISN'T "Everybody's Business"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If your BIOS doesn't support waking at a particular time then you can't do it directly. As Alterax said, there's nothing else running that could turn it on for you. However, if your motherboard and network card support Wake-On-LAN and you have another computer that's on at that time you could send a command over the network to wake the computer up.

Otherwise, you can't do it, I'm afraid.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alterax View Post
    I'm not absolutely certain by what you mean by "autoboot."

If by autoboot you mean to turn on from a powered-off state at a certain time,
    Yes i meant that. Thanks!