Thread: Writing in Japanese on Jaunty

Beans

Writing in Japanese on Jaunty (Solved)

This is the first time I try to install such a thing on Ubuntu, on Windows it was fairly easy you just had to had the japanese language then type the (damn I can't remember the word) the transcription of the sylables with english characters and it substituted them for Hiraganas/Katakanas.

I wonder, is it that easy in Ubuntu too? And if yes, how do you configure your computer to be able to take japanese input?

Thanks a lot in advance

-Pkad.
    Last edited by Pkadjipag; May 8th, 2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Writing in Japanese on Jaunty

Have you installed the Japanese language files yet? In System/Administration/Language Support I can add the Japanese language, and it gives me the option to add Basic Translations, Extra Translations, Input Methods, Extra Fonts and Extra Software.

If you've added those and it still isn't doing what you want it to, I may be misunderstanding the question...

Regards,

Didius
    BootInfoScript - Thanks, meierfra & caljohnsmith

Remastersys - Thanks, Fragadelic

Beans

In fact I was looking for almost everything and didn't know where to search for answers. Thanks I will try these and see if it works correctly.

EDIT :

I installed it and now I'm wondering how to switch from English Typing to Japanese. Could someone help?

-Pkad
    Last edited by Pkadjipag; May 8th, 2009 at 01:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Go back to System/Administration/Language Support. When it opens up, you'll see the options to change the language for both menus and windows and to set it as the default language for everyone at start up and login.

After you change it, log out and back in and it will take effect.

Regards,

Didius
    BootInfoScript - Thanks, meierfra & caljohnsmith

Remastersys - Thanks, Fragadelic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I switch between Chinese and English and this is what I do. It should be almost the same.

open a text editor

type: CTRL+SPACE

This will start the SCIM module

You will now see a small icon that should look like a small keyboard on your upper taskbar. (see attached image)

Once you see the little icon you can right click the icon and select properties and then you can configure your input settings to your liking.

I hope that helps

Powel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thank you Powel this was exactly what I was searching for.

Beans

This thread is very helpful!

I searched through much more complicated threads but figured this method out on my own.

Usually clicking on the keyboard in the taskbar is what you have to do to change that you are typing.

And if you type F7 after a word that changes it to Katakana.

If you are just a Japanese language student/learner and not a Japanese native, I would recommend not downloading the basic translations, and extra translations if you don't want your computer menu to be in japanese, but just want to be able to type in it.

you just need input methods and fonts when you install. Thats what I did.