Thread: Cannot transfer podcasts to iPod in Amarok 2

Beans

Cannot transfer podcasts to iPod in Amarok 2

Hi,

Since upgrading to Jaunty (Gnome) and Amarok 2 I cannot seem to transfer podcasts to the right place on my iPod Nano 3G (Fatty). The documentation on the Amarok site still seems to be geared toward Amarok 1.x as some of the things it says to try are not available.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Dan.

PS - Anyone else disappointed with the new Amarok? Especially the interface... Yeurgh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Cannot transfer podcasts to iPod in Amarok 2

At least you get to see your iPod in Amarok2. I have no idea why it's not showing up *anywhere*, not even in the collections, why there's not one single mention of it anywhere on the website OR in the settings.

Let them rewrite their software all they want, but try releasing it when it's actually *useable*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I cannot even figure out how to add songs from my local collection to my ipod in Amarok 2. I have the "Media Devices" applet in one of the four, uh, whatever they're called, but all it does is add or remove my ipod from the collection pane.

Amarok also has no documentation for me to read in order to figure out the new interface. I need some help understanding this new version!

Beans

ok so i can see my Ipod and I can add files to it but not podcasts. did they not beta 2. before release. this seems very bugged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Leetbumble, how are you "seeing" your ipod? And how are you adding files to it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Greevous View Post
    Leetbumble, how are you "seeing" your ipod? And how are you adding files to it?
    I see my iPod in the "Collection" pane, it shows up underneath "Local Collection" as another top-level item. I'm not sure how it got there though, I haven't had to point Amarok to it, like I did in 1.4.

When you plug in your iPod and you get the pop-up task selection window (browse files in Nautilus, open in RhythmBox, etc) have you tried setting to open with Amarok? I did this at one point, whether it was this that made it appear though I don't know.

Also, maybe it's down to the iPod model? As I mentioned before, I have a 3rd gen Nano (Fatty), maybe the newest Nano's don't work?

Just remembered, I also installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras package and lame. Don't know whether these help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm sorry, I should've been more specific. I can see my ipod in the collection pane, and I can play songs straight from it, but I can't figure out how to add songs to it. Here's what I've got so far:

* I can drag songs to the Collection tab, but that adds them to the local collection.
    *I can drag songs to the Media Devices applet, and it changes my cursor to the (+), but the songs do not appear in the ipod when I check the ipod Collection.
    *The Media Devices applet shows three icons: a media player, a green plus sign, and a red X.

What I guess I need is either some tooltips (to tell me what these buttons do) or an option to "write changes" to my ipod. I can't find anything of the sort.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Greevous View Post
    I'm sorry, I should've been more specific. I can see my ipod in the collection pane, and I can play songs straight from it, but I can't figure out how to add songs to it. Here's what I've got so far:

* I can drag songs to the Collection tab, but that adds them to the local collection.
    *I can drag songs to the Media Devices applet, and it changes my cursor to the (+), but the songs do not appear in the ipod when I check the ipod Collection.
    *The Media Devices applet shows three icons: a media player, a green plus sign, and a red X.

What I guess I need is either some tooltips (to tell me what these buttons do) or an option to "write changes" to my ipod. I can't find anything of the sort.
    How did you successfully get Amarok 2 to acknowledge your ipod? I have a 2nd gen ipod nano.
    Registered Linux User #479009
    Friend-->Linux; 6 and counting...

Beans

I could also add that i can't neither add a podcast to a mtp device (i'm on archlinux but using regular kde and amarok up to date). The problem seems to be that you can only add tracks that are in your collection; amarok 2 doesn't place the podcast you download there, so it's impossible to put them into the device. I don't know if there's some way to make it happen but I find it pointless to download a podcast just to listen to it on your computer, as oppossed to transfering it to your ipod/creative/fill the gap. As it is, the podcast capabilities of Amarok 2 aren't that useful. Did anyone point the bug to the devs?