Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - about vidio cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question - about vidio cards

Does Linux games require a high end video card and if so which games.
    I'm not a gamer but my children are and would like to setup a ubuntu game box for them, to play Linux games. I build my own computes and don't have problems with Windows or Ubuntu, I just don't know which video card would give a good game experience in Ubuntu.

Not interested in bleeding edge,duel boot,wine, vm. All ready have a Windows gaming rig. Ubuntu serves all my computer needs, so I would like to try more.

Advice Please

Sharky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Question - about vidio cards

You don't need a super high end video card for most games that Linux has to offer. If you don't feel like wasting a lot of money a mid-range video card should be just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If your kids already have a windows gaming rig, it's 100% pointless to give them a linux gaming computer, since all those linux games have windows versions they can play, both the commercial and the free ones. (I assume you were talking about all the awesome free games, such as warsow, nexuiz, savage XR, Urban Terror, openarena, etc.)

In addition, if you really want to install linux, just make a dual-boot on that windows gaming rig. You will have both systems installed on that pc, and you can choose witch one to start every time you turn on your pc.
    The ubuntu cd can do this automatically for you, but since it does involve partitioning your hard drive, it is recommended you make a back-up of any important data on that pc

If you really want a videocard, my €50; Nvidia GeForce 8 8600 GT 512 MB DDR2
    Works fine with all games, at medium to high settings

And that warsow game I just mentioned, tell your kids to try it out, because it's great, and looks awesome with it cell-shaded graphics. (ie it looks like a cartoon / anime / whatever you want to call it )
    www.warsow.net (free )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Maybe World of Padman, cartoonish FPS (multiplay only atm.), but fun nonetheless.
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

Check my Desktop for ideas Desktop 1 and Desktop 2
    What Sheldon Cooper thinks of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you all for your advice,and suggestions. I build a new machine every year and wanted to give something more "new and different" than just Windows.

I appreciate your time given

Sharky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

a mid range nvidia will be fine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by clhsharky View Post
    Does Linux games require a high end video card and if so which games.
    I'm not a gamer but my children are and would like to setup a ubuntu game box for them, to play Linux games. I build my own computes and don't have problems with Windows or Ubuntu, I just don't know which video card would give a good game experience in Ubuntu.

Not interested in bleeding edge,duel boot,wine, vm. All ready have a Windows gaming rig. Ubuntu serves all my computer needs, so I would like to try more.

Advice Please

Sharky
    I'm at the point now where my kids are pushing for Ubuntu Linux and minimizing our use of Windows. Their machines are multi boot since Counterstrike Source and TF2 still has some problems with WINE. But just about everything else we have is working great.

For their computers I have Nvidia cards installed. Both series 7 and 8 cards (which are quite cheap these days). I've been playing with them on our network various games from Nexuiz and Alien Arena to Unreal Tournament 2004 and Quake 4 (both native to Linux). It's been a blast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a note is I have had less issues with NVIDIA chips than the ATI cipsets.
    David Toronto
    Technology Initiatives
    Blog: blog.technologyinitiatives.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just to give an idea: Teeworlds*, Hedgewars, SuperTuxKart, xjump, LiquidWar are excellent Linux games for children. Urban Terror, Open Arena, World of Padman, Nexuiz, are not. There may be many more games that look like they're for children but in the end is inappropriate (xboing, bomberclone, lbreakout2, earlier versions of wormux)

I use an ATI Radeon card and don't experience the horrors many have had with the card, in Jaunty. OF course, your mileage may vary.

* - online only, but if you got a family LAN, that doesn't matter.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Depends on the age of the kids/children and what you allow them to or not.
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

Check my Desktop for ideas Desktop 1 and Desktop 2
    What Sheldon Cooper thinks of Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast