Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genius Mouspen 8x6 under Jaunty Jackalope

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Genius Mouspen 8x6 under Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and the version I'm using is 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.
    I'd love to get my tablet, a Genius Mousepen 8x6 working on it!

I have already tried using wizardpen:
    http://digitalbluewave.blogspot.com/...epid-ibex.html

I patched the code for the driver myself referring to this:

http://code.google.com/p/linuxgenius/issues/detail?id=1

I got the driver to compile! YAY! I thought. But wait, it's still not working..

As I got to the calibration step, I realized that my tablet was not showing up at all when I executed the command lshal | less

And from there, I don't know how to go about setting up my tablet any further and getting it working.

My tablet's name showed up as UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U when I executed grep -i name /proc/bus/input/devices

It's important to me to get this figured out as soon as possible, and I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks for listening.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Genius Mouspen 8x6 under Jaunty Jackalope

Hi xSxTxOxRxMx,

Since in Jaunty you are suppose to configure through a .fdi file rather than xorg.conf maybe the .fdi file isn't picking up your tablet. I think your Genius tablet is basically a Waltop tablet and the entry is in the 10-wacom.fdi in /usr/share/hal/fdi/. Take a look at that Waltop subsection. Do you see an identifier like "WP8060U" in the first line or two of it?

Also do you see anything with "xsetwacom list"? How about "xinput --list"?

Beans
    Distro

I didn't find that file. I checked that directory and then did a search, to no avail.

If there is a seperate way to install wizardpen for Jaunty, perhaps I went about it the wrong way using that tutorial. Although, it did state that it currently works with Jaunty.

I'm very new to Linux, so if I get something wrong, please have patience with me. :]

Beans
    Distro

Hi xSxTxOxRxMx,

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. It should be in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/. In the folder 20thirdparty should be 10-wacom.fdi. Either way check Synaptics Package Manager and see if you have the 0.8.2-2 linuxwacom packages installed. xserver-xorg-input-wacom and wacom-tools. If not install them.

I didn't see the reference to Jaunty you mentioned. Your tablet is basically the same as a Genius WizardPen, correct?

Beans
    Distro

I found the file now, but it makes no reference to my device's name (UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U) or any part of its name. It does list what seems to be the device names for several tablets, but not mine. Also, my tablet is not a Wacom tablet, the brand isn't the same, although WizardPen is supposed to work with my model.

It seems it would be considered a Genius Wizardpen device, since its brand is Genius.

Beans
    Distro

Hi xSxTxOxRxMx,

OK, the thing is that Waltop is the underlying manufacturer for a bunch of tablets. One of them being the Genius WizardPen. And Waltop manufactured tablets will work with the linuxwacom driver. That's why the Waltop entry is in the 10-wacom.fdi. So the question is is your tablet manufactured by Waltop, and rebranded by Genius like the WizardPen.

Given that it is saying it is a UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U that doesn't sound likely. It sounds like Genius has rebranded a UC-LOGIC tablet. But to confirm that you can look in:
    Code:
    lshal>lshal.txt
    There should be one or more sections dealing with the tablet. Be patient, it will be a huge output. I've done it several times already so it's doable. We want those section(s). If you're lucky in that section it will mention Waltop somewhere.

Otherwise we have to figure out if UC-LOGIC tablets have a linux driver. Or if we're lucky the linuxwacom drivers might also work. Or there is kernel support (driver built into the kernel) that we could hook into.

Beans
    Distro

Hi xSxTxOxRxMx,

I did a google search with "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U" and found some stuff.

There's .fdi named 99-geniuspen.fdi instead of 10-wacom.fdi:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="info.product" contains="UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U">
    	    <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wizardpen</merge>
    	    <merge key="input.x11_options.TopX" type="string">695</merge>
    	    <merge key="input.x11_options.TopY" type="string">2320</merge>
    	    <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomX" type="string">32747</merge>
    	    <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomY" type="string">32762</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    I changed the header:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    to
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
    So if you can find a .fdi like this then Jaunty is supporting your tablet. But since you aren't getting any activity... Along with the .fdi is other information at: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18158

And the updated driver he refers to is at: http://digitalbluewave.blogspot.com/...-alpha1-p.html along with a link to installation instructions. It's not clear to me if it works for the Xserver 1.6 in Jaunty or if you have to make the changes in the src code he talks about. If you're lucky Jaunty already has this. There also appear to be some Ubuntu threads in the google results.

Ah ha. Here's the Ubuntu wiki for it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen And for Intrepid install it links to the Blue Wave site like the other Blue Wave page links to.
    Last edited by Favux; May 9th, 2009 at 11:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for looking into this for me.

I have already tried to use the updated drivers also, from Blue Wave.

I looked for the file 99-geniuspen.fdi but it wasn't there.

Could this be my problem?

Once again if I'm a bit slow to catch on to this, my apologies.

Beans
    Distro

Hi xSxTxOxRxMx,

To get the tablet working you'll need both the driver and the .fdi. If after checking around in the .fdi's you don't see one for your tablet like the 99-geniuspen.fdi (ie with WP8060U in it) it shouldn't hurt to install the .fdi where they tell you to. Like I said maybe you'll get real lucky and Jaunty will already have some driver installed. You reboot and bam. Highly unlikely.

Also we had to fix our .fdi for our usb tablet pc's. The default Jaunty .fdi didn't have touch which our tablets do. Using the HAL sections for our tablet and the HAL spec. we figured it out. Also the default 10-wacom.fdi isn't parsing the returned HAL names into linuxwacom names so nothing worked. And we figured that out too.

It doesn't look the driver is packaged to automatically install a .fdi so you should be OK. But watch out for that. The way I read it is if you take the November alpha driver and make the change the Arch site guy recommends you should be able to successfully patch and install the driver with Jaunty's Xserver 1.6. But you could contact either the Arch site guy or the Blue Wave guy and see what they recommend. Probably the smart move. And you should probably find the place where they're getting the original driver. I can't remember was it Xorg? Anyway the Arch site guy said he was going to update in a few days and it's been two already.

So while you're waiting you could read things through once or twice and do some more research and try to contact them.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help.

At this point I haven't gotten my tablet working yet.

I will keep trying, and when I do get it working I will post here again with the news and how I got it working.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast