Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple laptops vs. PC laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Apple laptops vs. PC laptops

What you need to remember is that, while an Apple notebook is probably twice as expensive as an HP for the same price, Apple make their hardware out of top quality parts.

To get a "PC" (they're ALL PC's dangit) of the same quality from HP, you'll spend just as much, and still not get quite the same feel. I would maybe prefer to buy a mid-range Macbook over most of HP's range, though I would buy the HP dv3 or whatever it is, the ultrathin rival, as HP made it well, and it's well under $1000 for a decent spec ultrathin.

Beans

I love the apple marketing team, the world thinks that a mac is something vastly different from a Personal Computer. Anyway, something that should be taken into consideration is that with a mac purchase, your processing power is given to your tasks wheras with a windows installed machine, chunks of processor time go towards supplemantal software before you can even think about activities: anti-virus, firewall etc.

all in all though, i do not believe that a mac is worth the money. They are great machines and a great OS but severly overpriced in my humble opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i have always heard that the laptop itself is of very good quality and the support is very good. im not speaking from experience but more of what i have seen and read on the Internet. most of the time build quality is poor on low end laptops and that isnt fun. i bought my gateway mt6730 for $650 and a week later the dvd burner went out, but the support was good so they fixed it. if it is truly built to last, os aside, then it is worth a few more hundred dollars.
    laptop = pentium dc @ 1.6 ghz w/ 2 gigs ram

Beans

are apple laptops less prone to break? i was thinking of getting a macbook for next semester i refuse to buy from hp again i'm waiting for them to get on chat right now trying to fix a broken wireless card

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Hello all. I would like some feedback on this.

I have seen so many comparisons about an MacBook Pro and non Apple laptops.

It would seem to me that IF you did configure a Windows based laptop with everything a MacBook Pro has the Windows based laptop is a little less expensive.

My view on this is that with a non Apple laptop you have greater choice. You don't need to buy a Cadillac when all you need is a Chevrolet.

Yes I can spend $3000 on a non Apple laptop if I need that level of ability or I can spend $700 for a more basic machine. I have the choice.

Also the myth that Apple users are somehow smarter than Windows users. I think the average Apple user is just as dumb as the average PC user.
    80% of the price of a laptop is the screen. Apple laptops have far superior screens to their PC quivalents. I use a MacBook for photographic work, and I've yet to see any PC laptop screen that is better than the macbook I have. The colour rendition, tonal quality and clarity are vastly superior on Apple laptops. They also calibrate better.

So, if accurate picture rendition isnt important to you, then dont buy an Apple. I know there are top of range laptops that have fantastic displays, but I prefer Apple displays. On lower end machines, Apple's are better display wise.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    The only Apple hardware that comes close to being good value is the Mac Mini.
    Other than that it's a total rip-off.
    The Mac Mini good value? £500 for A 2.0GHZ Duo 2/1Gb Ram/120Gb harddrive? That really isnt good value.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Apple's break as much as normal PCs do.

Apple also uses the same "quality" stuff that every other manufacturer uses. Their monitor are not any better its just a trick, just learn to calibrate your screen. Besides if you really care about colors your using a CRT, if you need to make videos or animation your using a high end desktop with some real graphics power.

With Apple you pay for name brand loyalty with a service plan that is maybe a notch above others.

Anoyone who says they need a Mac for video editing, or music creation, is just fooling themselves. PCs have all the same options they just have to purchase their software afterward, Apple bundles everything.

Personally the best laptops out there are from Lenovo. I love the Thinkpad line, sure they look as basic as possible but they last. The new IdeaPad line makes some cool looking stuff too, My netbook was well worth the money.
    Last edited by LowSky; May 6th, 2009 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know about the US, but here in my country Apple's products are way overpriced. for example, a MacBook MacBook Core2 Duo 2.1GHz, 1GB, 120GB costs around 1000 euro, which is a ridiculous amount of money for what it offers. for this sum I could buy anytime a HP, Dell or Toshiba with much better performances
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    With Apple you pay for name brand loyalty with a service plan that is maybe a notch above others.
    You pay for the display.

Anoyone who says they need a Mac for video editing, or music creation, is just fooling themselves. PCs have all the same options they just have to purchase their software afterward, Apple bundles everything.
    Yep, but the displays are better on macs, so yeah, for anything visual where accurate tone and colour is needed, a mac display is a good option, considering a super-calibrated high end monitor costs thousands.

Personally the best laptops out there are from Lenovo. I love the Thinkpad line, sure they look as basic as possible but they last. The new IdeaPad line makes some cool looking stuff too, My netbook was well worth the money.
    Certainly are, but the macbook display is better. And you pay for the display.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by koshatnik View Post
    You pay for the display.

Yep, but the displays are better on macs, so yeah, for anything visual where accurate tone and colour is needed, a mac display is a good option, considering a super-calibrated high end monitor costs thousands.

Certainly are, but the macbook display is better. And you pay for the display.
    My £500 Samsungs display is as good as any MacBook pro Ive seen.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast