Thread: firefox uninstall, reinstall

Beans

firefox uninstall, reinstall

I don't know what I did, but I screwed up firefox. My problem would be solved by a simple uninstall then reinstall. My problem is that I uninstalled it with the add/remove tool, then reinstalled it, and it was basically restored to the previous state. I want to remove it and all of it's plug-ins...

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: firefox uninstall, reinstall

The settings for firefox are inthe ~/.mozilla directory along with your plugins, themes and bookmarks.

You can trythis in a terminal:
    Code:
    $ cp ~/.mozilla ~/.old-mozilla && rm -r ~/.mozilla
    This should backup your original settings folder and remove it. Then start firefox. If you have even more problems after this you can undo it by running:
    Code:
    $ cp ~/.old-mozilla ~/.mozilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chilimac02 View Post
    I don't know what I did, but I screwed up firefox. My problem would be solved by a simple uninstall then reinstall. My problem is that I uninstalled it with the add/remove tool, then reinstalled it, and it was basically restored to the previous state. I want to remove it and all of it's plug-ins...

Any ideas?
    If it's just the extensions and plug-ins giving you problems, you can go to the Tools/Addons menu in Firefox. From there you can disable all your plug-ins and then re -enable them one at a time to see which one is causing problems. Then you can uninstall that one. You can also remove Themes, and disable/remove plug-ins.

That's one option - if you really want to blow it out of the water:

Remove it using the Synaptic Package Manager in System/Administration/Synaptic. Choose the Mark for Complete Removal option and it will delete everything.

Be warned, though, you'll lose your bookmarks as well.

Use these instructions if you want to back up your bookmarks first, so you can import them back in after you've removed and restored Firefox.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...o+an+HTML+file
    BootInfoScript - Thanks, meierfra & caljohnsmith

Remastersys - Thanks, Fragadelic

Beans

tried the above ^ and it left firefox on my Applications->Internet menu, and still ran...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chilimac02 View Post
    tried the above ^ and it left firefox on my Applications->Internet menu, and still ran...
    did you try

Code:
    rm -rf .mozilla
    ?

Beans

Ironically when I executed the above command ^ things worked. Firefox was NOT un-installed, but when I opened it everything was back to default. while the goal was not actually reached, i would consider this solved.