Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

The source of this problem w/ Quicktime and/or iTunes could be that the file has no metadata other than length. Not for any real lack of knowing how to do it, it's just unnecessary w/ gtkpod because gtkpod doesn't transfer metadata of the videos (which is why you need to manually put in the length of the video in gtkpod).

rdwtux: Were the conflicts caused by Automatix just the fact that these files weren't installed: libdts-dev, libtheora-dev, libgsm1-dev, libraw1394-dev? If so, I'll include them in the install file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    rdwtux: Were the conflicts caused by Automatix just the fact that these files weren't installed: libdts-dev, libtheora-dev, libgsm1-dev, libraw1394-dev? If so, I'll include them in the install file.
    Well they probably should be included in your script, as ffmpeg won't compile without them. But Automatix seems to have installed some video libs that conflict with libdts-dev and libtheora-dev. So I basically had to uninstall each offending lib/app. I had to uninstall all the way down to totem.. then reinstall what I needed from OFFICIAL ubuntu repositories later.

I've read many people complaining about Automatix and it really shouldn't be used as it modifies your source.list file... but it was useful. Now I understand the repercusions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rdwtux
    Well they probably should be included in your script, as ffmpeg won't compile without them. But Automatix seems to have installed some video libs that conflict with libdts-dev and libtheora-dev. So I basically had to uninstall each offending lib/app. I had to uninstall all the way down to totem.. then reinstall what I needed from OFFICIAL ubuntu repositories later.

I've read many people complaining about Automatix and it really shouldn't be used as it modifies your source.list file... but it was useful. Now I understand the repercusions.
    The install script changes out your sources.list file and then puts it all back to what you had before when it does it (just using official Ubuntu repositories). Since they do provide some conflicts that need to be fixed by hand, I suppose that I'll just leave them out...

I've used an earlier version of Automatix and haven't had any problems, though.

Beans

If I enode an avi file using ffmpeg the way you mention, i get great results. However if i try to add an MP4 file that was preformatted for the IPOD I generally get an error with gtkpod saying it doesn't understand the format.

This isn't a huge issue. I've setup a cron script on my system to automatically encode any video I have in a certain directory during the night.. the next morning I can add it to my ipod.

But just wondering, can you add MP4 files directly to gtkpod?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rdwtux
    If I enode an avi file using ffmpeg the way you mention, i get great results. However if i try to add an MP4 file that was preformatted for the IPOD I generally get an error with gtkpod saying it doesn't understand the format.

This isn't a huge issue. I've setup a cron script on my system to automatically encode any video I have in a certain directory during the night.. the next morning I can add it to my ipod.

But just wondering, can you add MP4 files directly to gtkpod?
    Rename the file to .mov. For some reason, gtkpod doesn't play nice with .mp4 files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    Rename the file to .mov. For some reason, gtkpod doesn't play nice with .mp4 files.
    *LAFF* do you know how many hours I've spent re-encoding The Family Guy because of this! hehe.

I just figured it was an encoding issue. *slap*

Thanks.

Beans

I'm still having the pausing problem of the video playing for a few seconds fine and then pausing itself and then playing with no sound. HELP!!!

Beans

I'm not having any issues with pausing/no audio. However another guy here at work who has a 5G video and only uses itunes has the same issue your mentioning. You might want to see if it's actually an ipod issue rather than a gtkpod/ffmpeg issue.

He started having issues when he upgraded to firmware 1.1, however i'm running 1.1. without issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Try rebooting the iPod. Press and hold the menu and the center button simultaneously until you get a glowing apple logo.

Beans

Found the problem with video playing for 10 seconds and then freezing, then no audio.

It's a problem with the 1.1 firmware on the 60GB Ipod (i just exchanged my 30gb for the 60gb and had the same issue).

Basically you have to downgrade the firmware on the 60gb ipod from 1.1 to 1.0. This does not affect the 30gb ipod apparently.

Here's the original thread:
    http://digg.com/apple/iPod_Update_Ca...e_Video_Owners

Here are the steps (copied from thread - i tried it and it works fine):
    1. Download iPodWizard here:
    sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153441
    (download the release, top link of the two)

2. Extract the files, and launch the program.

3. Put in your Original CD,
    On The iPodWizard, Click Open Updater..
    point to the CD, Program Files/ iPod/ updater exe

4. Click Load on the iPodWizard

5. Click on DownGrade Firmware

6. Exit the Wizard

7. Open the iPodupdater directly from CD/ Program Files/ iPod/ Updater.exe
    it will said ur iPod is OutDated 1.1

Click Update... instead of Restore....

and u will be back to 1.0

Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast