Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Beans

Arrow Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

For the task of converting videos for your iPod there's also avi2mp4.sh.

Requirements:

- coreutils
    - bc calculator
    - findutils
    - faac audio encoder
    - mplayer (with support for your input files)
    - mencoder (with x264 support)
    - aacgain (to ReplayGain the audio; you should at least have v1.7.0)
    - MP4Box (part of the gpac suite; v0.4.4 or later required)

It's a batch encoder. The user simply sets the configuration and then runs the script on as many videos as he/she likes. All one needs to know is in the script's comments.

Hope you give it a shot: Link

Regards
    bttb
    Last edited by bttb; February 2nd, 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Talking Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Hi,

I followed this tutorial to obtain the SVN version of ffmpeg and tried to encode files for my gf's ipod touch - I found that it didn't work right out of the box...

Once I tweaked it a little bit, I found that I could encode video successfully, but there was no audio playback on her ipod - irrespective of whether or not it was properly imported by itunes.

After some head bashing , I figured out that the file I was encoding from had an audio track of 5.1 dolby, and the ipod only supports stereo

So, incase this helps anyone else out there, I modded the ./configure command for the SVN version of ffmpeg to read as follows (all other surrounding commands are the same):
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-pthreads --enable-libdc1394 --enable-liba52 --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-shared --disable-debug --enable-encoder=aac --enable-encoder=x264 --enable-encoder=msmpeg4v2 --enable-encoder=msmpeg4v3 --enable-encoder=libfaac
    and I also modded the ipodvidenc file to address the complaints ffmpeg was giving me about bitrates being in bits and not Kbits, the wrong libraries being used, and also to support conversion that forced audio into stereo, as well as maintained aspect ratios (i.e. adds black padding bars so people don't look stretched tall). As a consequence there is one more flag in the ffmpeg command, and it asks a couple more questions. The ipodvidenc file I use, now reads as follows:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## ipodvidenc - The iPod Video Encoder for Linux.
    ## Created by Eric Hewitt, January 9, 2006.
    ## Modified by Kaiesh Vohra, February 3, 2008.
    ## Released under the GPL.  Go nuts.

input_file=$1

echo "What would you like to name the output file (sans extension)?"

read output_file_name

echo "$output_file_name will be located in $PWD. Is this acceptable? [y/n]"

read output_file_loc_permis

if [ $output_file_loc_permis = 'n' ] || [ $output_file_loc_permis = 'N' ]
    then
    	echo "Where would you like to store $output_file_name.mov?"
    	read output_dir
    else
    	output_dir=$PWD
    fi

echo "What height do you want the video to be? Remember that you need to determine this by calculating 240/(orig width/orig height)..."
    read new_height

echo "How much padding do you want on the top? Best would be (240 - new height)/2..."
    read padding_top

echo "How much padding do you want on the bottom? Best would be (240 - new height)/2..."
    read padding_btm

ffmpeg -i "${input_file}" -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -maxrate 1024000 -b 716800 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4194304 -g 300 -acodec libfaac -ab 196608 -ac 2 -s "320x${new_height}" -padtop "${padding_top}" -padbottom "${padding_btm}" -aspect 4:3 "${output_dir}/${output_file_name}.mp4"
    Special thanks to the guys that put this thread together, it was HUGELY useful!

But, like I said - hope my little mod helps someone!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

I get the following error when I try to encode an MP4 from a VOB file, apparently it's missing a codec but I'm not sure which one:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -vcodec mpeg4 -b 700k -aspect 16:9 -s 320x180 -acodec aac -ac 2 -ab 192k -comment "Encoded by Vive" -i "/home/bdw/vive_dvd_temp1-1.vob" "/home/bdw/test.mp4"

FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libogg --enable-libgsm --enable-dc1394 --disable-debug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-xvid --enable-x264 --enable-liba52 --enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --enable-shared --prefix=/usr
      libavutil version: 1d.49.3.0
      libavcodec version: 1d.51.38.0
      libavformat version: 1d.51.10.0
      built on Dec 20 2007 21:25:50, gcc: 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 29.97 (30000/1001) -> 59.94 (60000/1001)
    Input #0, mpeg, from '/home/bdw/vive_dvd_temp1-1.vob':
      Duration: 00:03:00.1, start: 0.045500, bitrate: 180763 kb/s
      Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480, 7500 kb/s, 59.94 fps(r)
      Stream #0.1[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5:1, 384 kb/s
      Stream #0.2[0x81]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, mono, 192 kb/s
      Stream #0.3[0x83]: Audio: ac3
    Output #0, mp4, to '/home/bdw/logansrun.mp4':
      Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x480, q=2-31, 700 kb/s, 59.94 fps(c)
      Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 192 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
      Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
    Error while opening codec for output stream #0.1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
    Needless to say, this is driving me bonkers as I can't figure out what's missing on my system.

Beans

I think you need to do -acodec libfaac instead of -acodec aac

Beans
    Hidden!

Angry Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    I think you need to do -acodec libfaac instead of -acodec aac
    I gave that a shot but I got the "unknown codec" error. libfaac is enabled in the ffmpeg build so it appears that I'll need to take a different approach.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry, maybe I'm late to the party. Have you tried handbrake? It's pretty straightforward.

HandBrake CLI Guide: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

HandBrake Download Page (including Linux download): http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

There is a handbrake gui called HandBrake GTK, but it apparently isn't an official part of HandBrake and is based on old code. It looks like they're working on a QT gui, but he CLI is super easy to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ok, I've been having all kinds of fun trying to get Vive installed. When I run the ./configure, I had to use the disable-dvd flag because of the new version of libdvdcss being out. Now, when I run the command:

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-dvd

The last few lines look like this, so I don't think there's a problem with this:

config.status: creating Makefile
    config.status: creating src/Makefile
    config.status: creating doc/Makefile
    config.status: creating doc/C/Makefile
    config.status: creating config.h
    config.status: config.h is unchanged
    config.status: executing depfiles commands

However, when I run make, I get:

combo_menus.o: In function `populate_ffmpeg':
    /home/glenn/Desktop/vive-2.0.0/src/combo_menus.c:38: undefined reference to `av_register_all'
    /home/glenn/Desktop/vive-2.0.0/src/combo_menus.c:50: undefined reference to `first_oformat'
    /home/glenn/Desktop/vive-2.0.0/src/combo_menus.c:50: undefined reference to `first_oformat'
    /home/glenn/Desktop/vive-2.0.0/src/combo_menus.c:50: undefined reference to `first_avcodec'
    /home/glenn/Desktop/vive-2.0.0/src/combo_menus.c:94: undefined reference to `first_avcodec'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [vive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/glenn/Desktop/vive-2.0.0/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/glenn/Desktop/vive-2.0.0'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Question Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

I haven't read all 51 pages yet, but I"m hoping someone can help me get started.

We got my daughter a 6th gen nano and she wants youtube vid's on it.

I've dl some from here http://www.tubeleecher.com/

and renamed them as they dl to the desktop

installed gtkpod the ipod is mounted, I can access the folders etc,

tried to add some vids through gtkpod and got this
    The following track could not be processed (filetype unknown): '/home/bob/Amy_youtube_downloads/Best_of_Gir' same thing for all
    Do I have to reencode them? I'm not sure I've got everything set up right, but she's really anxious to get it working, and I don't want to resort to itunes and a dual boot. help please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I finally got ffmpeg installed after hours, but now I can't start converting anything b/c I can't even play vids now from the winff frontend.. the error msg I get is

failed to play /usr/bin/ffplay : 127

anyone know what the problem is?

Beans

Thanks For good program

Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast