Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HowTo: Encode Video for iPod Video

I used essentially the same script you have in the intro, but this is what I used:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "${input_file}" -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -maxrate 1000 -b 700 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 192 -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 "${output_file_name}.mov"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Change that line to this:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "${input_file}" -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -maxrate 1000k -b 700k -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 192 -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 "${output_file_name}.mov"
    Those k's should make all the difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have a question.I noticed that in the tutorial posted that it says you can convert from .vob file straight from dvd::rip.When I rip the dvd with dvd::rip it breaks the dvd up into multilple files each about 1gb in size.How would i go about ripping it into one big file and then converting it?Or could the ipodvidenc do them all at the same time and put them together into one big file?If so how would I go about this using the ipodvidenc?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by bennyj View Post
    I have a question.I noticed that in the tutorial posted that it says you can convert from .vob file straight from dvd::rip.When I rip the dvd with dvd::rip it breaks the dvd up into multilple files each about 1gb in size.How would i go about ripping it into one big file and then converting it?Or could the ipodvidenc do them all at the same time and put them together into one big file?If so how would I go about this using the ipodvidenc?

thanks
    To the best of my knowledge, dvd::rip will always split those. My suggestion is to use vobcopy (available via apt-get), and use this command:

Code:
    vobcopy -l -n # -o /path/to/output/directory/
    Here, the -l tells it to rip to 1 large file. The # is the title number.

Sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, dvd::rip will always split those. My suggestion is to use vobcopy (available via apt-get), and use this command:

Code:
    vobcopy -l -n # -o /path/to/output/directory/
    Here, the -l tells it to rip to 1 large file. The # is the title number.

Sorry
    Thanks endershadow you have been a great help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks endershadow you have been a great help!
    Glad you got it working. I do what I can...happy encoding

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This might be a bone head question but im a little confused. I have been using the ipodvidenc script with vobcopy and following this turorial and everything works fine.I can rip,encode and then upload to my ipod no problem.So I thought I would give the GUI version a try.Did the configure thing,make and make install.loaded the preference.Everything comes up as it should.

Now my question.Am I supposed to be able to rip from the dvd to vob using Vive gui?And then encode to ipod formatt all with the one click of the encode button?Or do I still need to rip to vob seperately using vobcopy and then encode using vive?

thanks

Beans

Alright. I've followed the instructions exactly and there were no problems. So, to try this for the first time, I start up Vive. I select my File to be a 40-minute episode of Psyche (avi), and set the output to "/home/fxfitz/test" (should there be an extension??) I set the preset to iPod/PSP Video and click encode, and then Vive just exits. I've never done anything like this before and it would be much appreciated if you could lend a hand and let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This might be a bone head question but im a little confused. I have been using the ipodvidenc script with vobcopy and following this turorial and everything works fine.I can rip,encode and then upload to my ipod no problem.So I thought I would give the GUI version a try.Did the configure thing,make and make install.loaded the preference.Everything comes up as it should.

Now my question.Am I supposed to be able to rip from the dvd to vob using Vive gui?And then encode to ipod formatt all with the one click of the encode button?Or do I still need to rip to vob seperately using vobcopy and then encode using vive?

thanks
    It does it all for you. You can choose to keep the VOB but otherwise it will delete it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FXFman1209
    Alright. I've followed the instructions exactly and there were no problems. So, to try this for the first time, I start up Vive. I select my File to be a 40-minute episode of Psyche (avi), and set the output to "/home/fxfitz/test" (should there be an extension??) I set the preset to iPod/PSP Video and click encode, and then Vive just exits. I've never done anything like this before and it would be much appreciated if you could lend a hand and let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!!
    Yes, there should be an extension. This was an issue with the Beta, but I believe it was fixed in the SVN version...I'll give it a whirl, though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The reason i asked is becuase i keep getting"segmetation fault(core dumped). I used the presets under preference and made sure that every drop down box has a value and output points to my home directory but no luck.Any suggestions.I wish I could provide you with more but thats all the error code i get in the console.
    Thanks

Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast