Check this out from PC World.

What do you think?
    I have check this out. its really work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

PC World article about Linux

This article mentions a lot about Mint but it is built on Ubuntu and would not exist without Ubuntu from what little I know. A couple other Linus OS's mentioned also. It seems to be a plus for Linux in general. We can all learn from others experiences.
    Don't let the title in the article set you off on a Rant.

http://forums.pcworld.com/thread/554...t=285&tstart=0

Rich
    Last edited by richg; July 23rd, 2009 at 03:21 AM.
    Linux path. Lindows/Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu 8.04, Mint 6/Mint 7.
    No Gates or Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: PC World article about Linux

Yeah, that was posted a while back. It's a worthwhile read.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Top 7 reasons people quit Linux - PC World

The message right at the top of the page by "htyoung" I linked is what I found very interesting. You do not often see that kind of confession.

Rich
    Linux path. Lindows/Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu 8.04, Mint 6/Mint 7.
    No Gates or Windows

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Top 7 reasons people quit Linux - PC World

Quote Originally Posted by pbrugs View Post
    why are so many people scared of linux? i see it as a great OS. and if something dosn't work, then i see it as a learning experience about my pc.
    Because most people just want their computer to work right away, they don't want to make using their PC a learning experience. Most people will tell you that they have better things to do with their time than tweaking their OS to make stuff work, and they don't see the point in switching to a OS that requires more effort than the one they always used.

Quote Originally Posted by sstewart207
    it should be challenging thats what makes Linux fun to use.
    Most people's idea of having fun with a computer is surfing the web, chatting with friends, playing music, watching movies, gaming, etc. Not learning how to configure their system. Moreover, many people try Linux expecting it to be superior to Windows in every aspect because they heard zillion of times Linux fanboys claiming that their OS is perfect and can do everything that "*******" does and even better. They usually aren't told that they will have to spend time learning how to tweak their OS to solve problems and make stuff work. So it's no wonder that they go back to their previous OS after having some frustrations with Linux and discovering that it's not so perfect after all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Top 7 reasons people quit Linux - PC World

Quote Originally Posted by tmos22 View Post
    I like the challenge of learning Linux and would never go back to windows now
    I can agree with this to some degree. I enjoy going on to Linux and realizing that it is both teaching me more about computers and it's showing me how little I know. It's making me knowledgeable and humble at the same time. However, I'm not ready to jump ship on Windows.

The other day I was talking with my uncle about computers and I was able to explain networking to him. By the end he asked me "How do you know all of that stuff?" At the time I said, "I don't know, I just do." Later I realized that I learned it not from using the Home Networking features of Windows, but mostly from getting firewalls and file sharing to work on Linux. Windows made it really simple to do and, while that may help most people, it gave me less control and I didn't learn anything. Not only do I feel like my Linux box is more secure from viruses, I feel like it's firewall is stronger because I set it up myself.

Most people don't like fighting with their computer. They want it to just do what they expect it to do and for most people that means having a Start button to find programs, Microsoft Office to get work done, and Internet Explorer for web browsing.

To me learning Linux is fun and interesting. I haven't given up Windows yet, but I know that Linux isn't a bad alternative and I am thankful for the knowledge that I have gained from using it.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516