Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I turn off animated progress bar in Gnome?

Beans

Question How do I turn off animated progress bar in Gnome?

Hi Guys,

I'm a minimalist sort of guy some of the time, and if I'm installing or downloading something, I'd rather the progress bar wasn't animated. Just plain old solid and boring - and non-attention-grabbing!

Does anyone know how to turn off the animated progress bar in Gnome, or replace it with something I'll never notice? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I turn off animated progress bar in Gnome?

Change the theme to one of the more Windows like theme from the Appearance menu?

Beans

I was hoping to keep the default theme if I could. Can I change only the theme of the progress bar?

Beans
    Hidden!

Haha. No. You can maybe make your own theme? Not to sure how though. What's the big deal with animated progess bars any ways? It's like complaining that your meal you ordered came with an extra drink.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should compile the gtk engine of your theme again in such a way that the progressbar is turned on. You're probably talking about the default Ubuntu theme using the murrine engine. If so, you should recompile murrine with progressbar animation turned off. I just don't know how to do that.

If you want, you can use a different theme altogether where the progressbars aren't animated. There is a good number of choices that are minimalist. If you haven't done it yet, you can check http://gnome-look.org
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans

open gconf-editor, search animation, uncheck the ones you don't want. i think it's called "configuration editor" in the menu.
    i disable them all on mine.
    Last edited by kerry_s; May 5th, 2009 at 07:11 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped OuT View Post
    Haha. No. You can maybe make your own theme? Not to sure how though. What's the big deal with animated progess bars any ways? It's like complaining that your meal you ordered came with an extra drink.
    haha, well put! . (If this was like FB i'd have clicked "like" under ur pic ...yeah it's cool )

Well, strange how one wouldn't like the animation. To tell you the truth I'm sad about some themes I like that don't have that feature. But then again it DOES kinda slow down the PC when resources are kinda tight. Like my one without 3D acceleration. Annoying...
    Last edited by b@sh_n3rd; May 5th, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.06GHz [3.46+ O.C.] 1GiB INTEL HDA; 4GiB DDR3 1333MHz [1500+ O.C.] ON Intel DH55HC