Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Network Manager keeps asking for WPA key even though its correct

Beans

Re: Network Manager keeps asking for WPA key even though its correct

Hey guys,

I got mine working. In my case it was some issue with ndiswrapper. After fidgeting around with everything else, I decided to try a driver reinstall, i.e.:

Code:
    $ sudo ndiswrapper -r your-windows-wireless-driver.inf
    removing your wireless driver, then:

Code:
    $ sudo ndiswrapper -i your-windows-wireless-driver.inf
    The simple removal and reinstall caused my Netmwork Manager to stop asking for the WPA and connect right away, thus this post

Hopefully this will be useful,
    promet
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans

I got the same problem, right after I did a fresh install of 9.04 with the ext4.

It worked like a charm in 8.10 :/

I got the ralink 2860 card in my Asus 1000H

my lsmod looks like this:

rt2500pci 23936 0
    rt2x00pci 15615 1 rt2500pci
    rt2x00lib 37888 2 rt2500pci,rt2x00pci

not sure if that has somthing to do with it.

any help is appreciated

Beans

promet, I'm glad you got yours working. Unfortunately, my laptop does not have ndiswrapper or a Windows driver installed, so this won't work for me.

FWIW, I'm using an Asus Eee 1000 with the RaLink RT2860, like many of the others here.

Edit: And to be clear, I'm able to connect to open wireless, able to connect to WEP. Not able to connect to WPA or WPA2.
    Last edited by HumbleGod; May 8th, 2009 at 06:13 AM.

Beans

Well it looks like I spoke too soon. It has crapped out again, which is upsetting. I mean it was working great, hot rocks; now? Kaput!

The fact that I found a "fix", which worked for, like, two days, then crapped out and is now stubbornly refusing to work, makes me really think that there is something dynamic going on in the background here. Also, upsetting.

Now it seems, instead of a simple misconfiguration, that this issue is a "moving target" in the 9.04 networking system, which is always bad, on account of the troubleshooting becomes all that much more difficult.

So, my hat's back in the ring, sadly, if anyone has any revelations let me know.

Signed,
    Wronged by my squirrely network
    Last edited by promet; May 8th, 2009 at 06:51 AM.
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleGod View Post
    promet, I'm glad you got yours working. Unfortunately, my laptop does not have ndiswrapper or a Windows driver installed, so this won't work for me.

FWIW, I'm using an Asus Eee 1000 with the RaLink RT2860, like many of the others here.

Edit: And to be clear, I'm able to connect to open wireless, able to connect to WEP. Not able to connect to WPA or WPA2.
    I have the exact same problem with an Acer Extensa 4630Z which has a RaLink RT2860 network controller card.

Edit: I found a bug relating to the RT2860 driver. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...5?comments=all
    Last edited by dmp1ce; May 8th, 2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Bug found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Fix for RA2860 by compiling new driver version

For what it's worth I was able to download, compile and install the latest version of the RA2860 driver located here. I'll list out the steps for anyone who wants to try. BTW, my system is Ubuntu 9.04 on an Acer Extensa 4630Z.

First, download and extract the .tgz somewhere. Then open a terminal and change directories to the extracted directory. For me it was ~/src/2009_0424_RT2860_Linux_STA_V2.1.1.0.

Edit the file config.mk located in os/linux, which was ~/src/2009_0424_RT2860_Linux_STA_V2.1.1.0/os/linux/config.mk for me. Change the line HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=n to HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y and the line HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n to HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y

Then follow these steps for compiling and installing.

Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    modprobe rt2860sta
    reboot #restarting the system was necessary for me, there is probably a better way
    After that, the card should be able to connect using WPA or WPA2. My connection was WPA2. I am also using wicd instead of network manager but I don't know if that will make a difference.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by dmp1ce; May 8th, 2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Missed an important step

Beans

Update,

Okay so I've got my wireless working, for the time being.

To recap I had been having the stated thread problem, Network Manager Keeps Asking for WPA key, etc.

After trying out Ndiswrapper configs, and module level driver complications. I stumbled across a post (sorry didn't bookmark it, not on Ubuntu Forum though) that mentioned that the Network Manager and it's corresponding nm-applet (the, in my case, Gnome Panel doohickey that manages your network connections) no longer uses "/etc/network/interfaces" for configuration information.

I did not know this, but figured if that's true, maybe that file is causing some conflict. So, I went into "/etc/network/interfaces" and commented out (by added preceding "#" signs on each line) all entries other than the "lo" (LO) entry.

I cannot speak to the details of why, but this worked for me. I rebooted, and the wireless kicked right back on, working like it had in 8.10.

I am guessing that in some hardware configurations (again, I am on a Dell Latitude C640 Laptop with a Linksys WPC54G Wireless pcmcia card) that the "/etc/network/interfaces" file somehow interferes with the, apparently now default, Network Manager method. Again, this is only a guess.

I hope this provides some insight, for the time being I'm going to enjoy this wireless connectivity before it breaks,

Alas, 802.11 is fleeting!

P
    Last edited by promet; May 8th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans

I think this Launchpad page is more relevant (it's more recent than yours, dmp1ce, and acknowledges that a fix hasn't really been released): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/339891

I'm really reluctant to try any triage right now, as I'm afraid of losing network connectivity altogether (I've had plenty of nightmares with Ubuntu and wireless in the past). Hopefully the fix dmp1ce mentions, or perhaps another one, will make it into the official update stream soon....

Beans

Roger that. This does seem to work though (for my configuration at any rate) and is very quick to implement/reverse for anyone who would like to to give it a try.

HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by promet View Post
    Roger that. This does seem to work though (for my configuration at any rate) and is very quick to implement/reverse for anyone who would like to to give it a try.
    Works for mine as well, now that I've grown a pair and gone through with it! I recommend that patch to anyone with an RT2860 driver, which probably includes anyone with an Eee 1000 (linux).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123