Thread: Can't boot Windows XP after Ubuntu 9.04 Installation / Suspend to Disk doesn't work

Beans

Can't boot Windows XP after Ubuntu 9.04 Installation / Suspend to Disk doesn't work

I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 on the second partition of my HDD. Ubuntu works fine, however I can't boot into Windows XP anymore - GRUB just keeps hanging at "Starting up..."
    I've checked the partitition and the data is still there so I think they're fine. Another thing that bothers my is that Suspend to Disk doesn't work (standby does), it will just wake up again immediately.
    The computer is a standard netbook (Acer Aspire One A150L)

Beans

Re: Can't boot Windows XP after Ubuntu 9.04 Installation / Suspend to Disk doesn't wo

I have exactly the same problem, all my partitions are still there, that is windows xp and data partitions, I can see them when I boot into Ubuntu, but If I try and boot into XP Pro, the system hangs at "Starting Up".....please help.

Beans

Re: Can't boot Windows XP after Ubuntu 9.04 Installation / Suspend to Disk doesn't wo

I've had the same issue on 2 different computers. From what I can tell, my original OS is intact, although no option exists in boot to specify the OS. I've installed 9.04 several times on other computers with no issues.

I also edited the boot/grub/menu.lst to supres hiddenmenu, and this gives me the option of linux, linux safeboot, and memtest.

After running sudo fdisk -l I recieve this info;

Disk /dev/sda: 4110 MB, 4110227968 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 499 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0000d381

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 173 1389591 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda2 174 499 2618595 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 174 477 2441848+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 478 499 176683+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

It seems like I should add Windows XP to the boot.lst around this point;

## ## End Default Options ##
    # title Windows XP
    # root (hd0,0)
    # savedefault
    # makeactive
    # chainloader +1

Does that seem like a good idea?

I don't know what to make of it...
    Suggestions?

I found some information on another thread which provides instructions for booting into windows after installing ubuntu.

I found that after repairing windows with the "fixmbr" and "fixboot" I am able to start Windows, but I don't have any options for booting into Ubuntu now. So....
    Last edited by designingpatrick; October 21st, 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Tried repairing Windows