Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerning copy protected dvd riping

Beans

Concerning copy protected dvd riping

I just installed the 9.04 AMD64 distro of Ubuntu. I am very pleased. The only thing I am having trouble with is Brasero. When I try to rip my dvds to the harddrive using Brasero I get the message in light gray text (I guess so it's not easily read) "please insert a disk that is not copy protected. such a disk cannot be copied without the proper plugins." So if anyone knows what these "proper plugins" may be please let me know.
    Also: I have been looking around at other threads for a solution to this problem and am also willing to take advice on how to get K3B to rip encrypted dvds.

Beans

Re: Concerning copy protected dvd riping

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiekiller00 View Post
    When I try to rip my dvds to the harddrive using Brasero I get the message in light gray text (I guess so it's not easily read) "please insert a disk that is not copy protected. such a disk cannot be copied without the proper plugins." So if anyone knows what these "proper plugins" may be please let me know.
    Questions about how to bypass valid copy protection schemes are really not supposed to be addressed here. There are legal implications for the forum maintainers and it is best not to bring that type of drama. Google is a better resource for such questions.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans

Read this.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans

Thank you zvacet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

regarding what jimmy said but, not directed towards him - i think it's complete and utter bull that they do that. i mean, you buy the dvd, you might not want to use it to save on it being damaged so, you try to rip and/or burn the disk and then, they won't let you (not without bypassing some encrypted crap). nonsense.
    Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

Beans

*cough*K9copy*cough*
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The link to the dvd libraries is standard and it is part of many people's standard build. The broader question of how you watch your media is a good one and there are places online where you can talk though those philosophical points. I personally also have a general practice of putting my discs on a network media server and serving them up from there, but that same process can be used to share the resulting files via the Internet to those who did not buy the media. For that reason, the topic is sensitive and there are other avenues than the forums here to explore the process.

Beans

also: Is there any way for me to view the iso while on my computer? or perhaps convert the video into a readable format? And thank you to all of the people that have provided help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiekiller00 View Post
    also: Is there any way for me to view the iso while on my computer? or perhaps convert the video into a readable format? And thank you to all of the people that have provided help.
    In a terminal,

Code:
    vlc /path/to/iso
    Or, in gnome/nautilus, right click the ISO and select open with, then other, then enter vlc.

If you do not have vlc, you can install it via synaptic.

Beans

Okay thanks guys. I think this thread is resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast