Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.04 Ubuntu... what happend??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation 9.04 Ubuntu... what happend??

okay- i have been having lots of compiz problems w/ 9.04 and my dell .... in trying to fix the problem i seem to have made more.

i used a code that puts the compiz-fusion icon in my startup... now i cannot use my desktop. When i login and the compiz starts - i just get a blank screen. i ran the compiz check script and it says i have hardware issues. A screen renderizer or something...
    i run compiz and get alot of errors - no hardware it says. my KDE desktop is no longer an option to run. Linux is starting to be a big inconvenience to use.
    i guess what i'm wanting to know is, is there a code to remove the compiz-fusion icon from my startup apps so i can get back on my desktop to try and fix more problems? i can only get to command line from the log in screen
    Last edited by collinge; May 3rd, 2009 at 06:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 9.04 Ubuntu... what happend??

If you can boot into failsafe Gnome, try running "metacity --replace" and see if your desktop will load.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you go into sessions (in the System tab), you can remove programs from the start-up list there.
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it ~ Alan Kay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    If you can boot into failsafe Gnome, try running "metacity --replace" and see if your desktop will load.
    Will that work? Collinge is using KDE, not Gnome.
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it ~ Alan Kay

Beans

You may find your autostart applications in ~/.config/autostart . Try removing them via the command line e.g.
    Code:
    ls ~/.config/autostart
    then choose what to remove e.g.
    Code:
    rm ~/.config/autostart/fusion-icon.desktop
    The probable reason compiz isn't working for you is because you don't have graphics drivers installed.

run
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    and post the output and someone might be able suggest how to install the drivers from command line.

If Ubuntu 8.10 worked fine for you, then you might think about moving back to 8.10, 9.04 doesn't offer that much.

Beans
    Distro

i am using gnome 2-- none of these options work. i try to login to failsafe gnome and i get the same thing -- a blank screen .

Beans
    Distro

the the fusion icon is not listed - i will try compiz.desktop . and the output of that code is

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intell Corporation 8285G Intergrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by collinge View Post
    okay- i have been having lots of compiz problems w/ 9.04 and my dell .... in trying to fix the problem i seem to have made more.

i used a code that puts the compiz-fusion icon in my startup... now i cannot use my desktop. When i login and the compiz starts - i just get a blank screen. i ran the compiz check script and it says i have hardware issues. A screen renderizer or something...
    i run compiz and get alot of errors - no hardware it says. my KDE desktop is no longer an option to run. Linux is starting to be a big inconvenience to use.
    i guess what i'm wanting to know is, is there a code to remove the compiz-fusion icon from my startup apps so i can get back on my desktop to try and fix more problems? i can only get to command line from the log in screen
    Try un-installing compiz from the command line:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove compiz
    When you have sorted out your other problems don't install it again. If you read the forum for a couple of days you see so many people having problems caused by compiz.
    DeMus

Beans
    Distro

i removed compiz - but i still get the same problem -everything loads and then a few sec go by and then i get a blank screen- i cant find the post i used to add the code to my startup programs...damnitu ... i still see the fusion icon popup on my start. i will continue to look for that post

Beans
    Distro

yeah! i got into my desktop - a BIG THANK YOU for all of you that helped- i removed my bash commands using to rm autostart command . now.... i will try

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=compiz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast