Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope DSL/PPPoE problem

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope DSL/PPPoE problem

Automatic (PPPoE) - already set by default.

Beans

Take this with a grain of salt, as I am a clueless noob when it comes to networking, but you might want to try using the network-admin program from the gnome-network-admin package to set up your networking instead of NetworkManager. (After install it would be found as System->Administration->Networking in Gnome, or Applications->System->Network in xcfe)

I had a similar issue with my Jaunty upgrade, and found that changing eth0 from "roaming mode" to "dhcp" fixed it. Your mileage will vary, though, based on your system configuration and what DSL modem you're using.

Beans

I had the same problem and found connecting was automatic only if I used the login window. It's a little easier entering a user name and password than opening a terminal, entering sudo pon dsl-provider and then entering a password. I prefer the automatic login, but will live with this solution until a fix is found.

Beans

I am using Xubuntu 9.04 and I can access the internet from XP but not from Xubuntu. The network manager shows me as being connected but I cannot access the internet. Also my volume does not work. It seems to me as Ubuntu/Xubuntu has some pretty major flaws it needs to address before it can be considered "usable" by the abso-friekin-lute noob like me! ANYONE know how to DOWNGRADE to 8.10 without erasing Xubuntu? I do not wish to lose my music etc.

Beans

i dont know how to "fix" the problem here but i do know how to get you guys online.

heres what i did...

i removed the packages:

network-manager

and

network-manager-gnome

THEN:

(If you havent already, make a new pppoe connection by doing sudo pppoeconf)

then go to terminal and do

sudo poff dsl-provider

then

sudo pon dsl-provider

YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THESE TWO COMMANDS EVERY TIME YOU LOGIN AFTER YOU RESTART YOUR COMPUTER... (sudo poff dsl-provider and sudo pon dsl-provider)

NOTE: i dont know if you had to remove the network manager packages but thats how i did it...also i dont know if it was too smart to remove them becasue when the developers make an update to fix this you probably wont get the update for network manager..but thats how im getting my connection to work..hope it works for you guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope DSL/PPPoE problem

Hope this helps someone. I spend three hours trying to make sure that PPPoE started at boot time on my mothers computer.

Turns out, I had to change:
    Code:
    iface eth0 inet manual
    to
    Code:
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    in /etc/network/interfaces

Works like a charm!

J-F

Beans

May be a Kernel bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want to have your commands started at boot just add them to the
    /etc/rc.local file. Then every time you start ubuntu your command will run.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope DSL/PPPoE problem

This is very weird. Ever since the release of Ubuntu 9.04 J I have seen many internet connecting problems. I myself had experienced that shortly after I installed 9.04 J that my wireless was no longer working, until now it is magicly working! I haven't done anything, it just started working by it's self!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've heard that (launchpad.net) if you use pppoeconf in Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, you cannot connect to the internet. You must use Network Manager ONLY to configure your internet settings.

Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove pppoeconf
    I've tried it and it works. I can connect to the internet now.

Hope this helps and sorry for my bad english =/
    Last edited by FishyFantasy; May 29th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast