Thread: using jaunty as a nas - want to connect macs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question using jaunty as a nas - want to connect macs

Hello. What I want to do is set up Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 as a file server. I have a MacBook. I have Jaunty installed on the machine I want to use as the server. I don't need anything special. It'll be a JBOD NAS. It'd be nice (but not essential) if XP machines could also be served up from the Ubuntu NAS.

From my Mac I can easily see & write to XP & Vista partitions. I'm struggling to see partitions in Linux tho'.

I get the feeling that I should be using NFS to achieve my goal (but perhaps I should be using Samba or something else).

I've checked around teh interwebs but I can't find a guide I can understand.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
    Ubuntu 12.04: E8200 // P35 // 4GB // HD4850
    OS X 10.7.x: iMac 12,2; MacBook 5,2

Beans

Re: using jaunty as a nas - want to connect macs

You should use Samba to allow Windows and Mac to connect, not NFS. I would also recommend using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server edition for a server since it should be more stable than 9.04. It doesn't come with a GUI, but you can install one (i.e. with the "sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop" command).

This page may be useful: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: using jaunty as a nas - want to connect macs

Well, seeing as I already have 9.04 installed I can't be bothered putting on the server version you mentioned. I also like GUIs on servers.

In any case, I used this guide with good results. In a nutshell it involves compiling netatalk and editing some .conf files.

Could be easier...
    Ubuntu 12.04: E8200 // P35 // 4GB // HD4850
    OS X 10.7.x: iMac 12,2; MacBook 5,2