Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 + X11 forwarding + Windows XP + Putty + XMing ?

Beans

Ubuntu 9.04 + X11 forwarding + Windows XP + Putty + XMing ?

Has anyone got Ubuntu 9.04 + X11 forwarding + Windows XP + Putty + XMing working? I've tried and failed.

I'm using a standard install of everything, and have followed all instructions that exist, but still it doesn't work.

Has anyone out there actually got this working? I suspect it just isn't possible.

If anyone can actually claim to have got this to work, or is willing to give me any more advice, I'll post what I've done.

Any takers?

--
    Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 + X11 forwarding + Windows XP + Putty + XMing ?

I use cygwin for my xforwarding needs in Windows: http://www.cygwin.com/

I was never able to Xforwarding to work with putty.

Beans
    Distro

@timkoop

I've got it all working. I found it to be quite easy, actually.

What do you have working so far, and what isn't working? Can you log into Ubuntu from WinXP with putty? Do you have X11 forwarding turned on (both on Ubuntu's side, and in xming)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mud.Knee.Havoc View Post
    What do you have working so far, and what isn't working? Can you log into Ubuntu from WinXP with putty? Do you have X11 forwarding turned on (both on Ubuntu's side, and in xming)?
    Yes, I can log in with putty from WinXP.

In Putty, in the Connection->SSH->X11 options window, I have checked "Enable X11 forwarding", and the "X display location" is blank. I have also tried putting other stuff in there.

I start Xming first before establishing the putty connection.

When I log into my Ubuntu with putty, I get the message "/usr/bin/X11/xauth: /home/koop/.Xauthority not writable, changes will be ignored" I don't know if this is related.

If I run the command "echo $DISPLAY" I get: "localhost:10.0"

If I run the command "xeyes" (or any other gui app) I get: "PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authentication protocol attemptedError: Can't open display: localhost:10.0"

And in /etc/ssh/sshd_config I have uncommented these lines:
    X11Forwarding yes
    X11UseLocalhost yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10

And I restarted sshd with "service ssh restart"

I'm open to any other ideas.

Oh, maybe I get this error because I am logged in already and it doesn't let the same user establish two X sessions. Just a thought.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by timkoop View Post
    When I log into my Ubuntu with putty, I get the message "/usr/bin/X11/xauth: /home/koop/.Xauthority not writable, changes will be ignored" I don't know if this is related.
    I'd look into that error that you're getting. Are you logging in with the same username? That error seems to think that you don't have permissions for that file, which you should have if you're logging into your own account.

I just noticed another post where the guy was getting this error, but it went away as soon as he disabled X forwarding - which doesn't help you at all!

Hopefully somebody who has had this problem will see this thread. I'll think about it a bit and see if I can't figure something out. Sorry I'm not of any more help!

Beans

[SOLVED] Re: Ubuntu 9.04 + X11 forwarding + Windows XP + Putty + XMing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mud.Knee.Havoc View Post
    I'd look into that error that you're getting.
    Well well well, it seems as if I have found the answer. Thank you Mr. Havoc for the tip. Here is the story:

I looked at that file .Xauthority and gave myself full permissions to it. That didn't fix it, but I got a different error message (something like "error in locking authority file"), which I asked Google about, and he told me to run this command:

xauth -b quit

which I did. Then I just plain deleted that .Xauthority file, then ran the command again. After that, all worked well. I can now play knetwalk in Windows.

Thank you to everyone for the continued encouragement to find the answer to this problem even after I had given up. Well done.

Beans
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Ubuntu 9.04 + X11 forwarding + Windows XP + Putty + XMing ?

@timkoop

That's great news!!

Beans

Ok i got a pretty simple question, how do i change the permissions in the .Xauthority file? Also, i'm using version 7.5.0.23 of XMing. - Ubuntu Fix
    Last edited by jdice; July 7th, 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdice View Post
    Ok i got a pretty simple question, how do i change the permissions in the .Xauthority file?
    Probably with the chmod command. But that didn't actually fix the problem. The problem was fixed when I deleted that file entirely.