Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding a Network Printer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Adding a Network Printer?

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please check here: http://openprinting.org/show_printer...ageRunner_2020

I notice the printer is supposed to use the pxlmono driver. You can download the .ppd file and point the printer installer to it. Please post back so the searchers know what worked...or not. As well, post back if you get stuck.
    Well its the weekend so I won't be able to do anything till Monday. I'll let you know then.
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans

Does anyone know how to connect an HPC5180 printer to a network. I bot a new Vista HP laptop and cannot figure it out--is this a totally linux?site?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

is this a totally linux?site?
    Yes, it is. Me no speeka da windoz.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by paw53 View Post
    Does anyone know how to connect an HPC5180 printer to a network. I bot a new Vista HP laptop and cannot figure it out--is this a totally linux?site?
    What kind of network are you trying to connect it too? If its a home network you can just click Start>Control Panel> Printers Then right click on the printer (assuming you have the driver installed and everything) Right Click > Properties > Sharing Tab > check share this printer, type the name you want it to show up as on your network and depending on if your on a domain check list in directory, (if your not on a domain I don't think this option even shows) click apply > ok > then go to the computer you want to share it too, (assuming its a xp or vista machine) Start>Control Panel>Printers>add new printer>add a network printer> (if its vista it will search auto and xp you should see a box to type the name of the printer in)

Click connect and it will do its thing.
    SIDENOTE:
    Make sure when you type the name of the printer in the box, you put the name of the pc it's shared on first, then the printer name so it should look like this

\\ComputerName\Printername

Also make sure both computers are on the same work group and or domain. I've done it without them being on either but that takes a little more finesse
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I went to Lexmark's website and searched for Ubuntu drivers for your printer. Download and extract it (right click and select 'Extract Here') and then you should be able to point the printer installer to the C544 .ppd file and be all set. Post back if you get stuck.

http://downloads.lexmark.com/perl/do.../downloads.cgi
    K I have the ppd file and I browsed around a bit to find the right instructions but I'm still at a loss for how to get a driver installed...
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

how to get a driver installed...
    Go to System -> Administration -> Printing. Click New. Add a network printer, likely the IPP protocol. When you are confronted with a list of Canon printers and don't find your model, you should see the option to supply your ownn PPD file. Browse to it and add it.

You may also see an option to search for network printers and add your own PPD file when it detects the ir2020 but has no driver.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

SWEET! That worked out perfectly with the ir2020! I don't have time currently to try it on another Canon, the one I want to try it with is passworded... So if I get a chance I'll try it and let you know how that works out. But I was surprised in the network directory it saw all the networked printers in the building just I couldn't connect to them without the driver.
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

SWEET, indeed. Glad it's working for you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

K so I'm at another building... here we have an ir5050. Its not listed in the directory on linux foundation but i tired it with the ir5570 .ppd and it worked just fine. So for connecting ubuntu to canons refer too:
    http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Canon
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Adding a Network Printer?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    K so I'm at another building... here we have an ir5050. Its not listed in the directory on linux foundation but i tired it with the ir5570 .ppd and it worked just fine. So for connecting ubuntu to canons refer too:
    http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Canon
    That did not actually work for me, I used ir5570 to print on ir5050 printer and the one test page print ended up printing around 150 pages, and that was on a client site, so imagine the embarrassment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast