Thread: 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope - How do I know what type of ram my PC needs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Question 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope - How do I know what type of ram my PC needs?

I've done a search for how to find out what type of ram my PC needs, but I couldn't get a straight answer.

I've got an older computer that was given to me (as a gift to my sons). It's an Intel Pentium. I think it has 1 GB ram in it (I'm not even sure how much it has in there right now).

Anyways, I want to upgrade the RAM so that it runs more smoothly.
    How can I find out what type of ram the motherboard will take? Is there an application or do I look somewhere in the Administration section?

Please help.
    Oh you'll get yours, Microsoft.

Beans

Re: 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope - How do I know what type of ram my PC needs?

Do you know what make and model your PC is?
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

Re: 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope - How do I know what type of ram my PC needs?

If you know the model of your computer you can put it into the "memory advisor" on this website: http://www.crucial.com/

If it's not a brand name computer, it will take some more work. Easiest way is probably to open the computer up and take out one of the memory sticks and see if there's a label on it. We can then help you decipher the label.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Question Re: 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope - How do I know what type of ram my PC needs?

Not sure if this helps or not, but I noticed that when the computer does it's POST, a lot of information was flying through the screen and I noticed that one part of that information read :

512 MB DDR1 266 Mhz.

I'm guessing that's the ram's information. Is this all I would need to buy more ram, or would I need more info.?
    Oh you'll get yours, Microsoft.