Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount error in Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Angry Mount error in Ubuntu

I have two drives on my computer, one with Ubuntu 9.04 installed on it, and the other with files like music and pictures. Now when in windows the drive with my files stored on it would function without any problems at all. But as soon as I boot into Ubuntu there is a mount error saying:

"$MFTMirr does not match $MFT(record3). Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's softRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details."

I don't have windows anymore, and I knew there was nothing wrong with it when using Windows XP, Vista, and 7. Could somebody please enlighten my problem and help my solve it so I can access all my important files?
    By the way, the hard drive I can't mount is the first one (and is NTFS), and the one with Ubuntu on it, is second (Ext3).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Mount error in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ginjaninja405 View Post
    I have two drives on my computer, one with Ubuntu 9.04 installed on it, and the other with files like music and pictures. Now when in windows the drive with my files stored on it would function without any problems at all. But as soon as I boot into Ubuntu there is a mount error saying:

"$MFTMirr does not match $MFT(record3). Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's softRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details."

I don't have windows anymore, and I knew there was nothing wrong with it when using Windows XP, Vista, and 7. Could somebody please enlighten my problem and help my solve it so I can access all my important files?
    By the way, the hard drive I can't mount is the first one (and is NTFS), and the one with Ubuntu on it, is second (Ext3).
    Hi,

I have seen this error usually when computer is switched of either in the middle of startup or shutdown. Then it doesn't mount NTFS drives in ubuntu. Going back to windows and running chkdsk <drive> /f (example chkdsk e: /f) solves all the problem. Since you don't 've windows anymore. You need to install ntfs tools in ubuntu

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs
    This package has a nice collection of tool for ntfs drives. To fix your problem let's say your drive is /dev/sda2

Code:
    $ sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2
    This should fix the disk. Reboot after this.

If it still doesn't work use a Live CD like Hiren's boot CD mainly for DOS or there are a lot of other here is a wiki list of rescue n repair live CDs. Try the one you like Hiren's boot CD has chkdsk utility. System Rescue CD is another nice rescue CD.

Beans

Talking Re: Mount error in Ubuntu

THANK YOU SO MUCH! x

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

thanx you zeex i am really grateful to you since i have all my work on my external

merry christmas 2009

Beans

Thank you so much. It works like a charm.
    Run a HP Pavilion dv1000t Laptop w/ 2gig Ram. Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy w/ Compiz.

Beans

zeex, this resolved the error for my external WD10EA-S drive between Ubuntu10.04 and Windows7. Its had the same problem before and I had to recover raw data when i couldnt find a solution. I lost 300G and you've prevented me losing another terabyte.
    If you would allow it, I will grow a womb to bear your child. Alternately, accept my heartfelt thanks.

Beans

Thanks for the information about ntfstools. I've had this problem before and I fixed it by taking the drive out of the Ubuntu machine and putting it into a Windows machine and running chkdsk /f on it. So nftstools is a time saver. My problem is that I'm using SyncBack Pro running under Win7 to backup to my 1TB drive on my Ubuntu 10.04 box. The backup process seems to be changing either $MFTMirr or $MFT so that the partition fails to mount. The drive is divided into two partitions and the second is not affected. Any suggestions on how to stop this from repeating?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

add me to the list of supplicants. Thank you jedi master

Beans

Thanks so much zeex, had built a local Lucid Mirror on the USB drive, computer hung while shutting down, can get back to syncing the mirror

yabu@PostSFX:~$ sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdf1
    [sudo] password for yabu:
    Mounting volume... FAILED
    Attempting to correct errors...
    Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
    Reading $MFT... OK
    Reading $MFTMirr... OK
    Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... FAILED
    Correcting differences in $MFTMirr record 0...OK
    Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
    Setting required flags on partition... OK
    Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)... OK
    yabu@PostSFX:~$

Beans

Thanks zeex!! you really solved my problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast