Thread: Random lag & sound cuts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Random lag & sound cuts

So I've been running Steam to play Zombie Panic: Source (Same engine as Half Life 2.) for the past few months but recently I've been having some strange bugs.

1). Every 30 seconds or so I have a 1-3 second lag spike where everything just freezes and CPU usage drops off.

2). After maybe 30 minutes of play (Average, It sometimes cuts out earlier/later.) Sound randomly stops being sent to pulseaudio. Banshee works just fine still but I have to re-start the entire application to get sound back.

Anyone have any tips or ideas of what Might be up?

Thanks for your time.
    Bios Elemental - My Blog | Useful Ubuntu and WINE related help as well as general Geek Things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Random lag & sound cuts

Try running it without Pulse:
    Code:
    pasuspend wine foo.exe

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Bios Element View Post
    So I've been running Steam to play Zombie Panic: Source (Same engine as Half Life 2.) for the past few months but recently I've been having some strange bugs.

1). Every 30 seconds or so I have a 1-3 second lag spike where everything just freezes and CPU usage drops off.

2). After maybe 30 minutes of play (Average, It sometimes cuts out earlier/later.) Sound randomly stops being sent to pulseaudio. Banshee works just fine still but I have to re-start the entire application to get sound back.

Anyone have any tips or ideas of what Might be up?

Thanks for your time.
    I would disable pulseaudio. I've had nothing but headaches with it in 8.04. Not sure if jaunty fixed it up but 8.04 it's a mess.

also what version of wine are you running? You might want to check out 1.1.20 and see if that helps.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=14112

Looks like it has a gold rating but there was a suggestion of configuring WINE so it runs under windows 98 environment. Might be something to try

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by u235sentinel View Post
    I would disable pulseaudio. I've had nothing but headaches with it in 8.04. Not sure if jaunty fixed it up but 8.04 it's a mess.

also what version of wine are you running? You might want to check out 1.1.20 and see if that helps.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=14112

Looks like it has a gold rating but there was a suggestion of configuring WINE so it runs under windows 98 environment. Might be something to try
    Aye, I'll try disabling pulseaudio and see where that gets me. And yes, I forgot to mention I'm using the wine ppa.
    Bios Elemental - My Blog | Useful Ubuntu and WINE related help as well as general Geek Things.