Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change Default Search Engine in Firefox

Beans

Change Default Search Engine in Firefox

Hi,

For some reason, firefox changes my default search engine in the search bar from google to ask.com without any notification. The drop-down triangle beside the icon doesn't given me anything except ask.com. Does anyone know how to change it back to google?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Change Default Search Engine in Firefox

You can select "Manage Search Engines" from that same drop-down menu and select "Google". Also, you can try removing the "Ask.com" entry. If "Google" doesn't show up as a choice, then you can try adding it by selecting "Get more search engines" from the Manage Search Engine List dialog box. If that doesn't work try, "Restore Defaults".
    Last edited by Shadius; June 24th, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

In the drop down triangle, only Ask is there? There is a Manage Search Engines on the same page. There also should be a 'Get more search engines' link. What about "Restore Defaults"

Something you downloaded did that. You might also go to View toolbars and delete ASK or it will keep coming back.

Oops--slow again, there were no replies when I began typing. lol
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

ask.com usually injects inself very deep into your browser. You can follow the tutorial here to remove it from about:config.

Beans
    Distro

You might have the Ask.com add-on. Go into your Add-ons and remove it or disable it. Whichever you prefer. You can find it by going to Tools>Add-ons. From there, you'll be able to choose whether to disable or remove it.
    Question Everything

Beans

Thanks for all your reply, but it didn't work.

From Manage Search Engine, I couldn't find google in the list and ask.com IS the default one that I just restore ask.com again when I click "restore default".

When I click "Get more search engine", it takes me to another add-on page where I still can't find google. (Found google image, but i want the web)

about:config solution doesn't seem to have any effect on the browser too and I don't have ask.com add-on installed.

Just wondering now how you can add google one of the option in the list now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JDL Wahaha View Post
    Thanks for all your reply, but it didn't work.

From Manage Search Engine, I couldn't find google in the list and ask.com IS the default one that I just restore ask.com again when I click "restore default".

When I click "Get more search engine", it takes me to another add-on page where I still can't find google. (Found google image, but i want the web)

about:config solution doesn't seem to have any effect on the browser too and I don't have ask.com add-on installed.

Just wondering now how you can add google one of the option in the list now.
    You could try reinstalling Firefox. I would do that as a last resort though, but I'm out of ideas. Remember if you do reinstall Firefox, you'll lose your bookmarks and such.
    Question Everything

Beans

Ok, thanks for all your helps! I'll try re-installing firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    You could try reinstalling Firefox. I would do that as a last resort though, but I'm out of ideas. Remember if you do reinstall Firefox, you'll lose your bookmarks and such.
    Not really. The configs will still be there.
    Thankfully, Firefox 13 implemented a nuke all Reset Button, which will delete all settings, addons, configs, while still keeping your bookmarks and passwords. Open about:support (or go to Help > Troubleshooting Information), click "Reset Firefox".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Not really. The configs will still be there.
    Thankfully, Firefox 13 implemented a nuke all Reset Button, which will delete all settings, addons, configs, while still keeping your bookmarks and passwords. Open about:support (or go to Help > Troubleshooting Information), click "Reset Firefox".
    Oh, right, I forgot about that! Thanks for the correction.
    Question Everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast