Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 9.04 Jaunty on Acer Aspire One

Quote Originally Posted by lunatico View Post
    will give Crunchbang a go tomorrow.
    And it is beautiful!
    Thanks londonlali for the tip...

It's fast, simple, everything works out of the box...

Not to hard to use, weird that's all. Can't seem to find a place to launch applications I've installed (i.e.: thunderbird) other than doing alt+F2 and type thunderbird (or app name...).
    I'm sure there is a way to add them to the right click menu, just haven't figured it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lunatico View Post
    And it is beautiful!
    Thanks londonlali for the tip...

It's fast, simple, everything works out of the box...

Not to hard to use, weird that's all. Can't seem to find a place to launch applications I've installed (i.e.: thunderbird) other than doing alt+F2 and type thunderbird (or app name...).
    I'm sure there is a way to add them to the right click menu, just haven't figured it out.
    Glad you like it! I sure do There are various Crunchbang guides on the 'net, and the Crunchbang forums are great too
    - Samsung R519 Silver - Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 -
    - The Official Conky Blog - Follow conkynews on Twitter -
    - My Launchpad PPA -
    - My blog: My Little Desktop -

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Ok, the Karmic thread just got closed along with the whole board, so I'll post it here- Xubuntu was highly disappointing. Sound doesn't work (although I heard that sound failure is a Karmic thing, not an Xubuntu thing), and there didn't seem to be any way for me to connect to my mini-mac thru FTP. I supposedly was able to connect, but clicking the "open" button in Gigolo did exactly nothing. The fixes on the Ubuntu boards didn't help either- Thunar still refuses to open non-local folders. What am I supposed to do, go in on a command prompt or something?

Going to try regular Karmic, and if that doesn't work then its back to Jaunty.
    Custom PC- Athlon II, GeForce 210, Kubuntu Ocelot
    Dell Inspiron 1564, i3 Arrandale, Lubuntu Lucid
    Winbook M Series, Kubuntu Ocelot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
    Ok, the Karmic thread just got closed along with the whole board
    Ye, now that Karmic is out -> Time for Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Hate to do this, but my AAO is back on Jaunty until further notice. I had a fair few issues with karmic, including...

* Extremely long boot time, much longer than with Jaunty

* Horrible cell modem performance, as well as having to figure out which data plan I was on, which was a non-issue on Jaunty

* A dumb installer which had to be told to put GRUB onto /dev/sda1 instead of doing so automatically- which also hit that requirement under the "advanced" button

* Absolutely no sound

* A totally unexplainable system hang that hit me all of a sudden at work. I still have no idea what caused it

* The Software Center neither installs nor removes software, forcing me to smack Synaptic around

Admittedly, there were improvements in system performance. Firefox was much faster, the IM client was a fair bit better'n Pidgin, and the wifi light actually worked. Unfortunately, those improvements just weren't enough to save Karmic. I guess I'll be waiting until Lucid comes out.

Edit: Does anyone remember which package you had to install to get the wifi light working?
    Last edited by teh603; October 31st, 2009 at 02:11 AM.
    Custom PC- Athlon II, GeForce 210, Kubuntu Ocelot
    Dell Inspiron 1564, i3 Arrandale, Lubuntu Lucid
    Winbook M Series, Kubuntu Ocelot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Ye, now that Karmic is out -> Time for Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion
    I never meant for the karmic thread to be put in testing. Could someone talk to a mod about switching it to a regular and not closed testing forum?
    Now comes in CompTIA Network+ certified flavor!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Ok, had to create a new thread because the last one was locked. Here it is.

9.10 on Acer Aspire One
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313137

Twice for posterity.
    Now comes in CompTIA Network+ certified flavor!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok I have some experience now with Kuki, a Xubuntu 9.04 based distro for the AA1.

Works VERY well.

All I had to do was add a shortcut for the volume up hotkey, format to ext2 (instead of the stock ext3) and install the custom Kernel/headers found on the site and that's pretty much it in terms of hardware.

Webcam works, hotkeys work (ok, not scroll lock... I can live without), BOTH card readers work WITHOUT issues (of course the left one doesn't act as storage expansion but that's not so bad).

Battery life is reported to be the same as under Linpus by the laptop. I never tested Linpus' so I have no idea if it's correct or not, but it does say 2:30 hours which is pretty good for the old ZG5. Ubuntu only gave me 1:30 when I tried it...

It runs very fast too. Faster than Linpus did I think.

If you guys want to try Jaunty or Karmic, it may be worth it to install that custom AA1 kernel and headers... It really made an improvement here.

Oh, fast boot time too. Not as fast as with Linpus, maybe 5 to 7 seconds more.

Beans

Still no luck connecting with the built-in Qualcomm 9212 3G modem.
    NOTHING WORKS!
    Tried UNR 9.10, but had no "Mobile Broadband" connection.
    Tried kuki (3 different kernel releases) and still no "Mobile Broadband" connection.
    Found a "Linux Identity" disk of the "Ubuntu Family 9.04" which I copied to a USB key, and subsequently selected Xubuntu for hdd install, and much to my excitement, Xubuntu 9.04 recognized my cell-phone as a modem, invoked a "Wizard" to setup my new "Mobile Broadband" connection, so here I am happily surfing in Xubuntu!
    About sound not working in Xubuntu, all I had to do was unmute the speakers in mixer.

Boot time is less than 30 seconds (with some tweaking - removing unused modules, and some other tips I gleaned from the Linux Identity magazine) http://linuxidentity.com/

Installed Compiz-fusion, & it works as intended.

Currently running a multi-boot setup with WinXP, Xubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.04, & Solaris 10.
    I'm really liking Xubuntu, and everything works for me, except the built-in Qualcomm 9212 3G modem.

I live off-grid, so the "Mobile Broadband" is my only means of connectivity.

I tried to "Upgrade" via Update Manager, but ran into problems, including failure to recognize my cell-phone as a modem. So wiped out 9.10 & reinstalled 9.04.

That's where my AA1 is at now.
    "640 K should be plenty of RAM for anybody..."

Beans

Links to screenshots of my AA1 running Compiz-fusion on Xubuntu 9.04.

http://schizo.wen.ru/images/screensh...eenshot-17.png

http://schizo.wen.ru/images/screensh...eenshot-10.png
    "640 K should be plenty of RAM for anybody..."

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445