Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.04 Jaunty on Acer Aspire One

Beans

Re: 9.04 Jaunty on Acer Aspire One

Quote Originally Posted by edgar83 View Post
    First I added the modprobe tweak to let the system "see" the card
    Then I followed an online tutorial to move safely the /home partition.
    Could you post a link? I would like to experiment with this also...

Have moved to LXDE (which I tried in order to get Conky to work), under which I am having less problems with freezes ... just the occasional crash or hang under firefox.

I also followed the fairly standard tips for tweaking performance of SSD's (eg. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1154681 ). I THINK they have helped - does anyone have any comments on how effective these are under Jaunty, or tips on any others?

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by winestain View Post
    Could you post a link? I would like to experiment with this also...

cheers
    Look into the attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am currently using Kuki linux on my AOA 150. It is based on Jaunty and totally dedicated to the aspire one and sickboy is their kernel maintainer. Everything works OOB. Wireless (including the blinky light and the switch), all three card readers, sound, suspend, etc, etc. It is XFCE based and is wicked fast. It also uses the Ubuntu Jaunty repos....

It performed flawlessly on my just returned from road trip, whew! I installed it the night before I left and really did not have the time to make sure everything worked properly. It runs all day on the 9 cell battery (and takes all night to recharge) which also holds it at a great angle for typing . Suspend works great but hibernate does not seem to but I didn't really need that since suspend used so little battery.

I always wanted a laptop that would run all day and do everything I wanted and now I have it. I don't ask it for too much. wireless, email checking, web browsing, music listening etc. Check it out here:

http://www.kuki.me/
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    I am currently using Kuki linux on my AOA 150. .... Everything works OOB.
    Anyone tried Kuki on a AAO 110L? I have UNR 9.04 and everything works OOB, a bit sluggish I have to say, I know this little thing can deliver more. I just can't get used to the UNR looks, so used to normal gnome+compiz desktop. Although compiz is something I can sacrifice on a AAO for speed.
    Downloading Kiki now, I'll report my joys back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    I am currently using Kuki linux on my AOA 150. It is based on Jaunty and totally dedicated to the aspire one and sickboy is their kernel maintainer. Everything works OOB. Wireless (including the blinky light and the switch), all three card readers, sound, suspend, etc, etc. It is XFCE based and is wicked fast. It also uses the Ubuntu Jaunty repos....

It performed flawlessly on my just returned from road trip, whew! I installed it the night before I left and really did not have the time to make sure everything worked properly. It runs all day on the 9 cell battery (and takes all night to recharge) which also holds it at a great angle for typing . Suspend works great but hibernate does not seem to but I didn't really need that since suspend used so little battery.

I always wanted a laptop that would run all day and do everything I wanted and now I have it. I don't ask it for too much. wireless, email checking, web browsing, music listening etc. Check it out here:

http://www.kuki.me/
    I've just downloaded and tried KUKI...

It doesn't recognize the SD card during the installation so for me it's not a step forward compared to ubuntu jaunty standard...

If I could install with the /home in the SD card, probably I could solve my problem with suspend (read previous post)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hey there,

Am I the only one that upgrading to the 2.6.30-2 generic kernel doesn't unlock the front mic ? Everything else is working for me except that mic!! Anyone with a working mic could put us in the good direction by providing the steps to make it work?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by winestain View Post
    Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of getting rid of the swap altogether! Is the aspire one's limited ram enough without the swap? Anyway, I will experiment with this and Conky and see if it helps. Cheers
    Any improvement in your performance? Also, is it a particular application that's causing the slowdown? I find I get a bit sluggish in Firefox, but it's still my favourite of the browsers, so I'll keep using it (until Chromium comes out, probably!).

An aside, Conky is quite good at replacing a few applications; I even have it set up to get the weather forecast...Wait for it...Bragging desktop screenie coming:
    Screenshot 070609.png
    - Samsung R519 Silver - Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 -
    - The Official Conky Blog - Follow conkynews on Twitter -
    - My Launchpad PPA -
    - My blog: My Little Desktop -

Beans

Arrow Re: 9.04 Jaunty on Acer Aspire One

If you are looking to use Chrome, you might as well remove ubuntu and install Windows. Then use IE for a browser.
    Chrono is another product that is meant to grab market share from Google. Google, Microsoft/Apple, same crap that limits all of us.

If you are having performance issues with Firefox, new versions are ALWAYS coming out and I suggest you get one of the hundreds of add-ons and go to the Mozilla forum to find out how to re-config.
    It is open source ans is good as we want to make it.

Think a little bit about who you are associating with by using a Google made browser. These are the same people, that with Microsoft, made some heavy profits (and still do), by being contractors for the Chinese autocratic government so that they can limit the freedoms of the Chinese people by letting the government control what they can and can't do with the Internet and who they can and can't communicate with. Don't wars get fouight over personal freedoms ? As Google and Microsoft profit by restricting freedoms in a nation with the largest population and one of the top 4 in enslaving their people.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by londonali1010 View Post
    Any improvement in your performance? Also, is it a particular application that's causing the slowdown? I find I get a bit sluggish in Firefox, but it's still my favourite of the browsers, so I'll keep using it (until Chromium comes out, probably!).

An aside, Conky is quite good at replacing a few applications; I even have it set up to get the weather forecast...Wait for it...Bragging desktop screenie coming:
    Screenshot 070609.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by londonali1010 View Post
    An aside, Conky is quite good at replacing a few applications; I even have it set up to get the weather forecast
    Wow.. amazing!

Can you post a link to a howto, or post instructions for that ?

Beans

Hi,

I'm getting only 1h45 battery life on my brand new 3-cell D150 (normal use, WIFI on). Is that normal? And if not, anything I can do about it?

Thank you!

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast