Thread: Can't customize trackpad (MBP 4,1)

Beans
    Hidden!

Can't customize trackpad (MBP 4,1)

Hello,

I'm on a fresh installation of 9.04 on a Macbook Pro 4,1. The trackpad works out of the box, but I would like to customize it (tap-clicking and 3 finger right clicking are bad defaults).

I tried to follow the instructions on the wiki page[1], but had no success. I would like to hear from fellow Macbook Pro owners what their experiences are. If the wiki instructions worked for you, I would appreciate a little more detailed instructions, if possible.

This is what I tried:

1. add 'blacklist usbhid' to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    2. add bcm5974 and usbhid to /etc/modules
    3. create file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi with content from wiki page (which I tried to customize, e.g. swap 2 and 3 finger click)
    4. restarted computer

Result: none.

3a. Additional step that I took from the bug report: #update-initramfs -u

Result: Linux didn't load bcm5974 at all after that and I was left without a keyboard.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...pad%20(bcm5974)

Beans

Re: Can't customize trackpad (MBP 4,1)

The instructions on the wiki page will break all input devices. Made the same experience as you. I don’t have a launchpad account and could not change the page …

I’ve attached a fdi file that is working for me (MBP 4,1).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i'd appreciate someone making the changes or post what the changes should be here so that someone else can make them

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by __david View Post
    I’ve attached a fdi file that is working for me (MBP 4,1).
    Excellent. That works for me, too. Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,

like I already said above the configuration is working now. I could disable tap clicking and get 2 finger right clicks.

However, I can't drag with a right click anymore. The effect of a right click is the expected popping up of a context menu, for example. Holding down the button and moving my two fingers over the touchpad will not move the mouse pointer though.

This did work before I dropped that customized configuration into place (with 3 fingers then). Does somebody know what is causing this? Maybe there is something missing in or wrong with the configuration posted above?

Thanks