Thread: Strange Ubuntu mix-up. Manually installed deb package, replaced by other software

Beans

Strange Ubuntu mix-up. Manually installed deb package, replaced by other software

after update.

The strangest thing just happened on Ubuntu 9.04.

I just installed the .deb package of HomeBank, the software needed to perform internet banking from the ING bank.

Everything worked ok (after some simlinks).

All of the sudden update manager pops up and tells me it has found updates for HomeBank.

I apply (my spider sense should have gone off at that point, but it didn't).

Now when I try to launch homebank (through a custom made launcher in the menu) it says "file not found" (or something like that).

I browse to /opt where the folder was, but /opt is gone.

I "alt+f2" homebank and some personal accounting programs pops up.

What has just happened?
    Last edited by billgoldberg; April 29th, 2009 at 01:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Strange Ubuntu mix-up. Manually installed deb package, replaced by other software

Looks to me that when you have updated it, it installed this HomeBank over it.

Beans

Re: Strange Ubuntu mix-up. Manually installed deb package, replaced by other software

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Looks to me that when you have updated it, it installed this HomeBank over it.
    Yes that what got installed.

--

Seems like a pretty serious screw up of the Update Manager.

Not only did it suggested updates for an application I don't have installed and installed the application.

But it also deleted the original program, located in /opt.

The /opt folder got created by the homebank.deb I installed and is no longer there after the update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Sorry to hear that. But when apt* upgrades it actually performs a remove and install. The file locations of installed packages are stored in the local package repository and therefore apt was able to do a clean sweep of all the files when it upgraded. And since, unfortunately, the package names matched you lost the supposedly different homebank.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
    Sorry to hear that. But when apt* upgrades it actually performs a remove and install. The file locations of installed packages are stored in the local package repository and therefore apt was able to do a clean sweep of all the files when it upgraded. And since, unfortunately, the package names matched you lost the supposedly different homebank.
    I guessed that was what happened.

Off to launchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can lock a package in synaptic so it will never be updated. You should do that after you install the deb you had again.
    PMs will be ignored.