Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HowTo use DiskDrake for Partitioning

Beans

Re: HowTo use DiskDrake for Partitioning

Wouldn't it be easier to install this (as a program) in Ubuntu and partition from there? It is GPl'd from Mandrake Linux so they should be giving a link to get it (although I couldn't find it).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by towsonu2003
    Wouldn't it be easier to install this (as a program) in Ubuntu and partition from there? It is GPl'd from Mandrake Linux so they should be giving a link to get it (although I couldn't find it).
    Here it is:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...ery=drakxtools

I think I tried to alien install drakxtools once, and it didn't work for some reason.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I think I tried to alien install drakxtools once, and it didn't work for some reason.
    Possibly due to dependencies? http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandri...1mdk.i586.html

Too advanced for my level...

Could we request this for Dapper?

Beans

Thanks for this howto, I've just used it on a pc that I have been struggling to partition correctly with other tools, and it worked a treat. I already had PClinuxOS on a cd anyway, I just hadn't spotted the useful Diskdrake tool.

Many thanks once again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by towsonu2003
    Too advanced for my level...
    Mine, too. It's also only useful from a live CD, unless you're resizing a non-Ubuntu partition that's unmounted.

Could we request this for Dapper?
    I doubt they'd go for it. Space on the live CD is tight, and putting DiskDrake on seems weird, since that's really a Mandriva application.

It seems excessive, but I encourage Ubuntu users to download PCLinuxOS. First of all, it's far more impressive to ex-Windows users if you're introducing them to Linux via a live CD, as it has all the proprietary codecs Windows users tend to love. Secondly, it has this great partitioning tool on it.

Yeah... PCLinuxOS doesn't recognize my sound card or my USB mouse, but it's a great distro for people who have PCLinuxOS-compatible hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    It seems excessive, but I encourage Ubuntu users to download PCLinuxOS. First of all, it's far more impressive to ex-Windows users if you're introducing them to Linux via a live CD, as it has all the proprietary codecs Windows users tend to love. Secondly, it has this great partitioning tool on it.
    well, while we're there, check out this one http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php a liveCD for partitioning only. I've never used it but I'm gonna try from vmware after I go home (well, if I can download 30mb from my dial up).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

For anyone who has partitioning problems installing Dapper:

I received my free Dapper CD this week (thanks to Canonical). Want to dual boot with Win98SE. Have 80Gb drive, divided into C,D,E,F fat32 for Win98 and partition G, 46Gb fat32 empty for Dapper.

Install stopped at partitioner. I worked over 6 hours trying to change the existing G, 46Gb to ext3 partitions for Dapper. Tried everything in my tool box including Partition Magic (older version), Maxtor and Western Digital tools, and nothing worked.

Then I remembered an old Mandrake 9.1 Install CD. I used it to partition and format my 46Gb as I wanted it, then shut down computer and installed Dapper with no more problems. I assume Mandrake 9.1 comes with the DiskDrake partitioner.

Now it all works great. I have all my Win98 partitions and Dapper working together just fine.

I should mention that I installed Dapper alone on a 40Gb drive and the partitioner worked fine in that environment.
    Last edited by imhdd; July 15th, 2006 at 10:49 PM. Reason: adding comment:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mandrake and Mandriva do, in fact, come with the DiskDrake partitioner.

PCLinuxOS is a Mandriva-based Linux distro.

I've never heard any complaints about DiskDrake, and I constantly recommend it to people on these forums, even though certain forum members insist it's essentially the same program as GParted.

Beans
    Hidden!

I burned the .iso file onto a CD-RW of mine and booted up with it. I saw the initial PCLinuxOS screen, pressed enter and it started loading. However it stopped loading and dropped me to a shell:

ERROR: Unable to mount loop filesystem
    Commands were:
    losetup /dev/loop/ 0 initrd/cdrom/livecd.sqfs
    mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop/0 initrd/loopfs

Dropping you to a limited shell
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe this might help you?