Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has the community become less helpful or are my questions just getting higher level?

Beans

has the community become less helpful or are my questions just getting higher level?

my first 100 or so problems/ questions were almost all dealt with by the community
    this seems to be getting less so
    reason?

Beans

Re: has the community become less helpful or are my questions just getting higher lev

i havent noticed the forum being quieter, if thats what youre asking.

maybe its because you are such a linux grand master now that no one apart from linus himself can answer your questions
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: has the community become less helpful or are my questions just getting higher lev

As time goes by your questions are likely to get more advanced, otherwise they would not indicate you getting smarter or learning. I have however also detected a bunch of uninformed trolls who make the forums really unpleasant to be part of, maybe the users who were able to help you simply got tired and started coming here less.

I myself often feel the need to decrease the time I spend here helping out simply because it's frustratingly impossible to have a technical debate because of uninformed people who spew the opinions published by known trolls over and over again never listening to counter arguments or facts nor actually participating in the threads they post in.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Look over your recent posts... unless you're still asking the community for advice on how to install your graphics card drivers, I'm wagering that you just ask harder questions now that you can fix the easy problems yourself.

A quick look at my own posting history shows the following:
    Setting up a diskless client uses TFTP and the like
    Backing up individual SQL databases on a server setup
    Theming X forwarded applications through SSH

Not exactly beginner stuff

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    it's frustratingly impossible to have a technical debate because of uninformed people who spew the opinions published by known trolls over and over again never listening to counter arguments or facts nor actually participating in the threads they post in.
    Perhaps it's time to start a new sub-forum where you need a certain amount of Karma/Prestige/whatnot to have rw privleges (whereas normal users are read-only).

Note that I did not say "Beans/Posts", since that's never an indicator of anything.

Beans

"I myself often feel the need to decrease the time I spend here helping out simply because it's frustratingly impossible to have a technical debate because of uninformed people who spew the opinions published by known trolls over and over again never listening to counter arguments or facts nor actually participating in the threads they post in."

I think you just summarised the internet gnomeuser

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As time goes by your questions are likely to get more advanced, otherwise they would not indicate you getting smarter or learning. I have however also detected a bunch of uninformed trolls who make the forums really unpleasant to be part of, maybe the users who were able to help you simply got tired and started coming here less.

I myself often feel the need to decrease the time I spend here helping out simply because it's frustratingly impossible to have a technical debate because of uninformed people who spew the opinions published by known trolls over and over again never listening to counter arguments or facts nor actually participating in the threads they post in.

Oh my, we're sorry. why don't you give us an exhaustive list of those known trolls, so we can be sure not to listen to them. or is a troll anyone who disagrees with you?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've been lurking here a long time. The Forums seem just as annoying to me as they ever did.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As time goes by your questions are likely to get more advanced,
    I'm noticing that as my questions get more involved, they get fewer hits (I have a couple out now that haven't even gotten a nibble). This is one reason why I sometimes post in multiple forums if it isn't highly distro-specific and see where I get any bites.

I'm not sure if the number of trolls on the forums is increasing because the number of people coming is increasing. If trolls make up 0.5% of the Ubuntu forum population, then going from 100,000 members (with 500 trolls) to the 821,062 (thus 4105.31 trolls) listed now is a significant rise in trolls ( 3605.31 ... gotta remember that .31 of a troll! )
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!

.31, eh? Is that the poor troll who gets flames so badly that he changes his mind and comes back to Ubuntu?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast