Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High cpu usage with ntfs-3g

Beans

High cpu usage with ntfs-3g

Lately I have been getting 48% and higher cpu usage when downloading torrents with transmission onto a WD passport formatted in ntfs. The passport is not fragmented and this has really only started happening recently.

I should note that the drive is an external usb which I have been using forever to d/l torrents to and only recently have I noticed heavy cpu usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: High cpu usage with ntfs-3g

I'd search in http://forum.ntfs-3g.org using this Google Query "site:forum.ntfs-3g.org torrent cpu"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: High cpu usage with ntfs-3g

poohter i'm having exactly the same problem. It also happends when i download files from firefox to my ntfs partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Same problem here but it occurs when the system is idling and doing absolutely nothing.. CPU usage from ntfs-3g sits around 70-80% but I imagine it would be 100% if there were no other processes using the CPU.

I ran ntfsfix on the main partition on the drive abut that didn't do a thing, going to try rebooting into windows, run chkdsk and defrag it.
    Last edited by unc0nn3ct3d; July 7th, 2009 at 02:28 AM.
    Do Daemons Dream of Electric Sleep() ?

Beans

I have the same problem here.
    I have high cpu usage when using my ntfs partitions.
    When I copy big files or multiple files on it, my cpu (q9550) works almost on 100% load, even causes the system to be unusable from time to time during the copy. This is a terrible performance issue for me, plz suggest a solution!
    I am running kubuntu 9,10 64 bit, but had these problems in 9,04 32 bit too... I hoped this matter would be solved when i upgraded to 9,10 with a clean install, but unfortunately didn't happen...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems that this is a known bug, without a work around as of now: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3g/+bug/392204

Beans

Also pls everybody have a look at this one, in my case i think it's what i am looking for but for me no solution so far...

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1152176.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Apologies for resurrecting dead threads but I had the same problem after getting a replacement drive for a damaged one. Now since the two drives were the same I started wondering what could have caused this and then I remembered I changed some BIOS settings when I installed the new one while I was checking on it. Specifically, I enabled 32 bit file access and SMART monitoring.

The problem mostly occurred when I was copying large files over the network onto the Linux mounted NTFS drive. Network usage would drop substantially (~10 mbps instead of over 90 that I normally get) and the mount.ntfs-3g process would hit near 100% CPU usage.

I have disabled 32 bit file access and I'm going for it again. I'm getting great network speeds and the process is keeping itself pretty low, at around 20% usage, sometimes going up to 40% but never above 50%.

I can't be sure whether this is the same cause for everyone's problems, but it seems to have done it for me.

Beans

NTFS is not fully supported under Linux. Ntfs-3g is a reverse-engineered driver. So it has its problems.

I saw this isssue on every single computer that had Ubuntu + ntfs partitions.

I just reformatted everything to ext3/ext4 and had no problems since.

You might file a bug against ntfs-3g.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    NTFS is not fully supported under Linux. Ntfs-3g is a reverse-engineered driver. So it has its problems.

I saw this isssue on every single computer that had Ubuntu + ntfs partitions.

I just reformatted everything to ext3/ext4 and had no problems since.

You might file a bug against ntfs-3g.
    While I understand that Ntfs-3g can not be expected to work as well as "native" filesystem drivers, I don't think it's proper to chuck every problem or slowdown onto the "don't expect it to work" pile and call it a day. I've noticed a considerable increase in performance by changing that setting and thought I'd share it with the rest of the community.

If others who have had this problem find that it gets solved this way and for some reason or another require to have an NTFS drive (thereby not being able to reformat every drive to ext#), I believe it's still worth mentioning that workarounds exist.

I personally trust the ntfs-3g driver more than I do an ext3 driver for Windows, so if I'm going to be using a filesystem for a drive that should be accessible by both OSes, it's going to be NTFS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast