Thread: HOWTO: Convert AVI to MP4 for the Video Ipod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06
    I have taken a AVI file and converted to the correct mp4 to put it onto my 30GB iPod. I have taken notes and heres what Ive come up with. I hope it helps!

First get the latest CVS with this:

Code:
    cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous@mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co ffmpeg
    This will make a ffmpeg dir and get all the needed files off the server (duh i guess but just explaining everything )

You then get into that dir and need to configure the build. For some reason this part was the hardest for me to get. I had to run the following command before i ran the ./configure. This will pull everything ffmpeg needs and shouldn't give any build errors.

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep ffmpeg
    Make sure to have the sources in the repositories correct.

as well get the following 2 commands for libfaad-dev and libfaac-dev and the xvid librarys

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libfaac-dev
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libfaad2-dev
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libxvidcore4-dev
    Ok so ready to configure for build heres what i used:

Code:
    ./configure  --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-vorbis --enable-libogg --enable-theora --enable-a52 --enable-dts --enable-dc1394 --enable-libgsm --disable-debug --enable-faac --enable-xvid
    Ok now lets build
    Code:
    make
    Let it run through, takes a few minutes on a 2GHz

Once completed go ahead and install it with:

Code:
    sudo make install
    Done!

Now to convert here is the command I used, it doesnt do a great job at making the files smaller but it works as of right now and Im working on getting a better way of getting the files smaller

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i input.avi -b 768 -s 320x240 -vcodec xvid -ab 128 -acodec aac -ac 2 -ab 64 -f mp4 output.avi
    And that is all to it! Took me about 10 minutes to convert a 45 minute show.

I hope this helps someone because I have been looking everywhere to find a solution to this. And if this doesn't help anyone...well umm Im sorry Im no help still a total newbie at this stuff.

~Baens

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Convert AVI to MP4 for the Video Ipod

All of that can be done in one step:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by phyzome
    All of that can be done in one step:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
    Except that the version of FFmpeg in the repositories is more than 6 months old, and the .mp4 muxer has seen some very heavy development over those 6 months. (Read: it now will probably work ).

That said, there are a number of things not quite right: you're creating a file "output.avi" which is really an MP4 file - you should probably call it "output.mp4" instead. And I think that you need some additional ratecontrol parameters - I believe that the command line you used will, under certain circumstances, produce files that the iPod can't play. There's actually a iPod howto on this very board, and I think it gets that stuff right.

Might I in fact suggest this howto?
    Last edited by RAOF; May 5th, 2006 at 06:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I found this link that seems easier to handle:
    http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2007...martphone.html