Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enabling nvidia drivers in Jaunty - Fixes crash to terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Enabling nvidia drivers in Jaunty - Fixes crash to terminal

Grrr... just tried what you suggested about removing that line, then just removing the BUSID line, then removing both and on each occasion computer says no i.e. hangs at the login screen.

I wouldn't be so fussed but I need the 3D acceleration to run Wine properly...

I just wonder if there's some command line command that will look at the card and the NVidia driver and say 'Ah yes, this is what you really need in xorg.conf and also these other files too!'.

Unh.

Beans

So I decided that after a week of trying to fix this I would have to concede that Jaunty had officially beat me and I downgraded to 8.04. I am sad to not be running 9.04 but I have 3D graphics again. It's bittersweet. I don't like losing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a Dell XPS m1330 with an nVidia 8400 GS and just upgraded to Jaunty. I couldn't use the latest 180.44 driver, because the screen would start flashing at the login screen and then throw me to low-res mode.

For some reason, I could use the 173 driver (called "basic driver") without a hitch.

I followed ed-koala's instructions from his first post and fixed it! It worked like charm for me.

Thanks ed-koala!
    Dell XPS m1330, GeForce 8400 GS 256Mb, Intel Duo T7500 2.20 Ghz, 4Gb RAM http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3826 and Asus Z96J, ATI x1600 256Mb, Intel Duo T2600 2.16 GHz, 2Gb RAM http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3157

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I wanted to thank the OP for posting this article, I upgraded to 9.04 today and spent the whole day trying various fixes. A few caveats for me. Since I was stuck at the console I could not use the tool synaptic you referred to, further more im a newbie and didnt know what it was, but needless to say it and gedit would not work for me.

The difference for me was using:

sudo envyng-t

to install the Nvidia 180 drivers and nano to edit the xorg.conf.

Heh, I did get the black screen of death on the the first reboot because I used 2:0:0 instead of 3:0:0.

But I'm seeing at my fist glimpse of the 9.04 login screen on my other machine as I type this post.

Thanks man, now to see if WoW on Wine is all they say it is!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sorry, it did not work for me. neither have other options for nvidia in jaunty. have filed bug report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mosaic2s View Post
    have filed bug report.
    Any chance of pointing us to the URL please?

Unh.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123