Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FutureLooks 3 Core Theme released! (Feedback needed)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation FutureLooks 3 Core Theme released! (Feedback needed)

This is the core theme underpinning FutureLooks 3, made available simply because this segment is finished, unlike the script and the rest of what I'm trying to achieve.

FutureLooks is a project aimed at turning the GNOME desktop into something not only good-looking, but polished. Each release is extensively tested to make sure there are no bugs. FutureLooks aims to be somewhat more professional than many other themes available and hopefully you'll agree that it really is enjoyable to use.

UPDATE: 1/7/2009 - The latest release (3.3) with the new GTK theme contained within is available below. It is now only 10mb due to a change of icon theme.
    Get it here!

The 10mb tar.gz file above contains:

- 1 GTK theme - The very latest, using the Murrine engine.
    - 1 Emerald theme, the most polished version of FutureLooks emerald so far
    - 1 GDM theme based on the fantastic eGDM theme created by Daniel Fore
    - 1 Icon theme - Elementary icons courtesy of DanRabbit. Quite possibly the best icon-set available for Linux.
    - 2 Wallpapers - These are recolored versions of a default Ubuntu 9.04 wallpaper
    - 1 Panel Background - Based loosely on the glassy backgrounds of Windows 7
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Mazza558; July 1st, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
    Laptop: Inspiron 1501 - AMD64 (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, ATI 1150. Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty testing.
    Beginner's Guide to the Terminal! | FutureLooks 3 on GNOME-Look | Follow me on Twitter!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: FutureLooks 3 Core Theme released! (Feedback needed)

Very nice theme. It's a good, clean design. (Wouldn't use it personally, though-- I'm hooked on dark themes at the moment.)
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I might be stuck using Gnome part-time soon, so might use this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    Very nice theme. It's a good, clean design. (Wouldn't use it personally, though-- I'm hooked on dark themes at the moment.)
    I really get sick of dark themes after a while - GNOME and many other applications are simply not designed for dark themes and there are usability issues (like where black text can't be changed on Firefox)
    Laptop: Inspiron 1501 - AMD64 (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, ATI 1150. Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty testing.
    Beginner's Guide to the Terminal! | FutureLooks 3 on GNOME-Look | Follow me on Twitter!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    (like where black text can't be changed on Firefox)
    Do you mean the Firefox menu? That's easy to fix, see bug #366790.

I'm not a big fan of dark themes either though. I'm currently using New Wave, but I wish it was lighter.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

EDIT: Saw above posts, now I know what you were talking about. I haven't had any problem like that before, but I can see how it would be annoying.

===========[Original post]=============

I really get sick of dark themes after a while - GNOME and many other applications are simply not designed for dark themes and there are usability issues (like where black text can't be changed on Firefox)
    Eh? Not sure what you're talking about here. Firefox (okay, Iceweasel, but it's the same exact thing) matches my theme okay. Themes don't change the actual websites. If you're talking about wanting the websites to match up with your themes, that's where "Stylish" comes in handy (see screenshots 1 and 2.) And if you don't theme a website, it still renders okay (screenshot 3.)

I'm willing to concede that not everyone is willing to go out on userstyles.org to find a theme for each website they visit frequently. I'm just saying, light colored themes tend to blast my eyes into smoldering craters after a while. This is probably because I spend so much time in the dark.

Anyway, like I said, good theme, and keep up the good work!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MaxIBoy; April 26th, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    This is probably because I spend so much time in the dark.
    That's the difference then - I keep the room well-lit when using my PCs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Any GTK+ (and Gnome) applications works fine with both light and dark themes. You'll have problems with those ugly, non integrated, fake GTK+ applications (OpenOffice and XUL applications like Firefox and Thunderbird). Those are not designed for GTK+, they are designed for Win32API.

EDIT: Forgot to say: you have a good work with the theme. Can you share the blue jaunty wallpaper?
    Last edited by Tibuda; April 26th, 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Any GTK+ (and Gnome) applications works fine with both light and dark themes. You'll have problems with those ugly, non integrated, fake GTK+ applications (OpenOffice and XUL applications like Firefox and Thunderbird). Those are not designed for GTK+, they are designed for Win32API.

EDIT: Forgot to say: you have a good work with the theme.
    Unfortunately, the apps you mentioned are pretty common and popular for most users. If more apps played nice with GTK, dark themes would be truely unified out of the box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

compiz profile? what is the advantages of using this custom compiz profile, and what exactly does it do?

and wait, what? there is no gtk theme? so the only thing this is just clear looks + panel background and a wallpaper?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast