Thread: Jaunty Upgrade: How long did it take?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Jaunty Upgrade: How long did it take?

Just wondering how long it took ya'll to upgrade to jaunty and what were the upload/download speeds?

Edit: No poll, just curious
    B]"There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"[/B]

Beans

Re: Jaunty Upgrade: How long did it take?

A little tip:

Under system - preferences - software sources there is a location where you can autodetect the fastest server. The update should be fairly fast on a decent connection. No more than 30 mins to download and 20 to update.

Choose "download from" and pick other.

Beans

However long it took me to download the .iso file from a nearby mirror + the amout of time to find and burn a CD + a reboot + deleting all configuration files and folders + running installer, remembering to not format the /home partition.

Less than 6 hours, kept all personal files but did a clean install to minimise breakages.

FTW

There is no more breakage-proof way of doing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by calrogman View Post
    However long it took me to download the .iso file from a nearby mirror + the amout of time to find and burn a CD + a reboot + deleting all configuration files and folders + running installer, remembering to not format the /home partition.

Less than 6 hours, kept all personal files but did a clean install to minimise breakages.

FTW

There is no more breakage-proof way of doing it.
    +QFT - same as what I did

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Arrow Re: Jaunty Upgrade: How long did it take?

Compared to previous upgrades from 7 -> 8 Ubuntu, this one was super fast!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have my /home folder on a separate partition, this means that I download the ISO file, burn it, and install it.

I use the manual option for setting up partitions during the install. I told it to use the system partition with EXT4, reuse the same swap area, and mount the home folder on the same old partition where it was with 8.10. After the install I only had to install codecs, a few apps, and I was done. So not counting the 20min to download the ISO the whole process was a bit more than an hour, in the end I have a fresh install and it's clean.

Beans

The upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 took about 40mins to 1 hour here.