Thread: Window Manager doesn't start during login; succeeds after login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question [SOLVED] Window Manager doesn't start during login; succeeds after login

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) on an Acer Aspire 5600 laptop. So far everything works, apart from the regressions in the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver for my 945GM card. However, I have enabled greedy migration, disabled tiling, applied the EXA optimizations, set up a script to fix MTRR and reverted to the 2.4 version of the driver, all as recommended in various threads and forums; these changes have brought my performance back on par with 8.10 (Intrepid), and improved, in some cases.

However, for some reason I cannot get compiz (or metacity, for that matter) to start on login properly. Once logged in I can open a terminal from the menu (gnome-panel's run application doesn't work) and start both compiz and metacity successfully. I can also add compiz to my session startups and have it work, but doing so confuses gnome-do and emerald.

I've fiddled with all the related settings I could find in gconf to no avail. Compiz's crash dumping hasn't turned anything up, and there's nothing in my X error logs.

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on where to look next. Also, a pointer to somewhere that details when and how the window manager is called would be helpful, because I haven't found anything particularly helpful through Google et al.

Thanks!

Attached for reference:
    xorg.conf
    lspci -v | grep VGA
    Xorg.0.log
    fixmtrr.sh

EDIT: I figured out the problem and posted the solution.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kibz; July 13th, 2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added link to solution post

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Window Manager doesn't start during login; succeeds after login

Do you have the compiz-settings-manager installed? If so, open it, go to Window decorations and in the command part, put:
    Code:
    emerald --replace
    . That might unconfuse it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. It helped fix the problem I was having with emerald; confusion in this case meant that my autostart entry for emerald wasn't working. I suspect it was causing a race, and emerald was winning (losing?).

The original entry was '/usr/bin/compiz-decorator' (sans quotes), which is bash script that calls an appropriate decorator. By default in Jaunty it's set to use metacity or kwin rather than emerald, I decided to edit the script to prefer emerald for the sake of robustness, but using 'emerald --replace' worked, as well.

The main problem -- that the window manager isn't starting after login -- is still there, though, so any help in that direction would be appreciated.

Note: Gnome-do's confusion is that it is set to run as a dock, but ends up running in its default mode, presumably because there's no compositor running.

Beans
    Distro

I found the source of the problem, and it's pretty easy to fix. Very non-intuitive to find, though.

At some point gnome-session switched from using regular commands to using .desktop launchers for launching things like the panel and window manager. It looks for these files in a few locations, including /usr/share/applications and $HOME/.local/share/applications.

It also appears that alacarte (the menu application), or possibly just the freedesktop.org specification for menus, uses $HOME/.local/share/applications for user-specific menu customizations.

For whatever reason, a copy of /usr/share/applications/gnome-wm.desktop was made in my $HOME/.local/share/applications directory which I suspect added Window Manager in my menu somewhere. I'm pretty anal about keeping my menus clean of stuff I don't use, so I would have gone in and disabled that entry which changed the Hidden setting in my fancy new $HOME/.local/share/applications/gnome-wm.desktop file to True.

The last piece of the puzzle is that gnome-session stops searching after it finds an appropriate file, but it also doesn't run a launcher if it's hidden, so it was just straight-up skipping that step.

There are two ways to fix it, according to your preference:
    • Change the Hidden setting in $HOME/.local/share/applications/gnome-wm.desktop to false. This will (probably) put a Window Manager item in your applications menu somewhere.
    • Remove $HOME/.local/share/applications/gnome-wm.desktop entirely so that gnome-session has to find it elsewhere. If you're gonna do this, make sure you check for Window Manager (or gnome-wm.desktop) in /usr/share/applications first.

This should work for the gnome-session panel and file manager, too.

New user notes:
    • $HOME refers to your home directory, which is /home/yourusername. My sister qualifies as a new user, and she said she may not have been able to figure that out right away.
    • To find $HOME/.local/share/applications using the file browser, you'll need to show hidden files, since .local is hidden.
    • Launcher files (like gnome-wm.desktop) are generally listed in the file browser by a name they declare, rather than their file name. This particular file will probably be called Window Manager
    Last edited by Kibz; July 13th, 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Formatting and added clarifications for new users

Beans

Hi,

I had the same problem recently in karmic (after cleaning up my menus...)
    (I solved it with rm -rf .local/share/applications)

This seems to be a real bug in gnome(-session) did you file a bug report already?

EDIT: I filed one myself already: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=591224
    Last edited by FFuser; August 9th, 2009 at 12:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for filing the bug report, Ffuser. I was/am in exam study mode when I did my last post, so I just wanted to make sure that the problem was out in the tubes before I forgot. I didn't think to file a bug report along with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FFuser View Post
    Hi,

I had the same problem recently in karmic (after cleaning up my menus...)
    (I solved it with rm -rf .local/share/applications)
    I had exactly the same problem and your solution save my installation for the moment. It's just that it happened on the released Karmic version ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi all,

Thank you for the tip Kibz I was going "crazy" with this
    Last three months whenever I had time I was searching for some solution until I find this thread.

FFuser: Just for curiosity the bug you filled in https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=591224 was closed as a "NOT A BUG"...

Beans

@tcavaleiro:

Yeah, I know the bug was closed, and I understand why.

Gnome is following the specs. Since hidden=true in the .desktop files, means that the metacity.desktop does not exists (even if it exist physically on disk in /usr/share/whatever)

Still I do believe that gnome should fallback on a hardcoded binary if it can't find any desktop files that are window managers.

Still I do believe that removing an entry from your menu (in edit-menu/alacarte) should not have anything to do with your window manager on startup.