Thread: The age old Linux battle: Gnome vs. KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The age old Linux battle: Gnome vs. KDE

Its interesting...

Since I started using Ubuntu (Edgy), I've always used Gnome. I found it to be "better" than its KDE equivalent. I still use Gnome, possibly as it's now what I'm used to. I'm starting to lose my Windows skill ( ).

However, I have noticed KDE 4.x and it has impressed me. I'm starting to envy it. Having said this, when I try it, I still prefer Gnome. I do however like the eye-candy it gives me.

With the release of Jaunty, my love for Gnome has been reignited. I still find myself yearning for that eye candy that KDE gives me.

I ask the question, why have we not seen a merger yet? a Gnome platform with KDE eye-candy?

Is it really *that* difficult to compile a program for two different DE's? I am currently using a KDE theme for Gnome, in an attempt to get that so needed KDE feel to my friendly Gnome. In doing so, I sorta feel like I'm using Mac4Lin, 'Close but no cigar'

KDE feels more polished. I really want to use my fantastic Gnome apps with the look of the KDE ones...

Could anyone answer my questions?

Smile Re: The age old Linux battle: Gnome vs. KDE

The only thing I don't like about KDE that it reminds me of M$ Windoze.

I find it really tacky, and the KDE 4 theme looks horrid!

I find GNOME a lot easier, and it looks simple as well.

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: The age old Linux battle: Gnome vs. KDE

I don't think they'll ever merge because it seems they're coming from two different aesthetics. I'm not saying one is better than another, but you're not going to convince someone to like an aesthetic that simply doesn't appeal to them. I like Gnomes more simplistic, almost spartan approach. To me, it looks clean and refined. KDE looks "kiddie" to me, too Playskool, if you're familiar with the brand.

I also find it a b--ch to theme and it's granular control over almost everything is almost too much of a good thing.

But that's just me and my personal taste.
    Last edited by Therion; April 25th, 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

yh I can definitely understand that. Just seems odd that even though we've got so many other DE's that we haven't got some kind of merger of the two biggest...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by davbren View Post
    Just seems odd that even though we've got so many other DE's that we haven't got some kind of merger of the two biggest...
    I can only conclude you've never had to collaborate on any kind of large-scale project with the artistically motivated.

Heh... Yeah, I went there.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe I'm just looking for my gtk+ apps to have the native KDE theme. Anyway of doing that?

Beans

Seen Gnome 3 yet? Link to videos.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by graysky View Post

Link to videos.
    Video 1: Okay, that's neat.
    Video 2: Wow, now that's cool.
    Video 3: Shut..... UP!
    Video 4: Ooohhhhh Ohhhhh....

(rolls over, lights up a smoke.)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by davbren View Post
    I ask the question, why have we not seen a merger yet? a Gnome platform with KDE eye-candy?
    They are entirely different codebases, not to mention they use different GUI toolkits, and languages.

Also note that there is a lot more to the differences between KDE and Gnome than how they look. One could compare it to the difference between programming for Windows and for Linux (though not that extreme).

Is it really *that* difficult to compile a program for two different DE's? I am currently using a KDE theme for Gnome, in an attempt to get that so needed KDE feel to my friendly Gnome. In doing so, I sorta feel like I'm using Mac4Lin, 'Close but no cigar'
    Difficult, no. Compiling is simple. It's getting the same code to work on two different platforms that is hard. I can only think of one theme that does that, QtCurve. And I think it is two separate themes that just look alike, though I don't know.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: The age old Linux battle: Gnome vs. KDE

Just to confirm: I am currently indeed using KDE 4.2, browsing with firefox and using a few terminal applications and everything blends in perfectly using the afromentioned QTCurve theme.
    In KDE, just use gtk-chtheme to change the GTK theme.