Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ath9k low signal strength on Jaunty 9.04

Beans

Re: Ath9k low signal strength on Jaunty 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by mrtbone View Post
    This solved my issue on my asus p5n32-sli onboard wifi!!
    I had 14-15% before installing the modules mentioned above and now i get 65-75%

Thanks a lot!
    And now my USB stops working after a while... Hmm. This is a stopper for me using ubuntu. On the previous distribution I used hours to try to fix the issue, but to no use. Now the issue is back in this new version after doing the installs needed for a reliable wifi connection. I guess my dream of getting rid of the other operating system is never going to be a reality.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i tried to install backport modules but even close to router max signal is 82% what i get, is that possible that default ubuntu driver is still running and backported module is still offline,??? how to check?
    tox.chat, reactos.org

Beans

I have an Atheros AR5008 and was having problems with 9.04 as well.

Installing linux-backports-modules-jaunty along with wicd did the trick. No longer losing the signal and the strength is much greater.

Thank you very much for the tip.

--
    Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been experiencing very flaky wireless Internet with my ar242x on the eee pc. Sometimes it takes quite a while for a page to load. I'm not sure my issue is related to the one in this thread; however the signal strength is pretty low on this laptop compared to my Dell. I installed madwifi and it didn't seem to help much. Right now I'm trying this backports-jaunty package.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I re-enable ath9k in order for the backport trick to work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I after installing the backports, I tried both the ath5k (apparently 9k doesn't work for me) and madwifi. ath5k seems to work marginally better with less delays when "looking up" pages. They still happen sometimes though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry Re: Ath9k low signal strength on Jaunty 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by juliobahar View Post
    I had the same problem, but it seems that I've partially solved it using this info that I've got from launchpad (thanks to Alex):

Install those 2 packages:

1-linux-backports-modules-jaunty
    2-wicd

Reboot... and inform us of your results

Hope it works
    I have the same experience.
    My computer is an Asus laptop with an Atheros AR928X wireless card.
    If I boot using Ubuntu 8.10 live CD, my wireless adapter works perfectly.
    If I boot using the installed Ubuntu 9.04, the wireless adapter is seen but I cannot use it to connect anywhere.

The problem is that my wired network adapter is also not working... so I am having to boot in Vista to gain access to the Internet.
    My plan is to connect to the Internet using Vista, download linux-backports-modules-jaunty and wicd, copy them onto a USB stick and install from there in Ubuntu...

My question: Does anybody know how to install linux-backports-modules-jaunty and wicd from a USB stick?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Atrophy View Post
    ... running "sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty" definitely fixed this....
    Yep, doing just this took me from 15% to 80% signal (similar to Win2000).

Beans

Thx a mil. I have an Aspire 5738z, installing backports and wicd seems to have fixed this problem for me. Thx Ubuntu community, u r awsum!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi all!

I know this post is about ath9k on Jaunty, but wanted to ask: Anyone out there using karmic already? Do the low signal problem persists? At least on my machine I'm using karmic and the low signal problem still is there. Haven't installed the backport modules yet.

Edit: Well, just installed the linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic (what a huge name for a package!!). My signal went from 12-14% (before installing the package) to 50-54% (after installing the package and rebooting), using the laptop on the same spot. So I can confirm that karmic suffers from the same problem, but the fix also works (at least in my computer)
    Last edited by angelsguitar; November 1st, 2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: comment about installed wireless backported modules
    Angel Candelaria
    Online Guitar Professor @ Angel's Guitar, Cursos de Guitarra Pro & Worship Guitar Pro
    Web Designer @ YA Knowmadas LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

Can someone explain how the linux-backports-headers works to get the card working??

I have an AR5008 card and its seen in Ubuntu 9.04, I just have no networks available when using the network manager and with a iwlist scanning, I get No Scan Results.

Thanks in advance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast