Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beep and Instant Shutdown - Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Beep and Instant Shutdown - Jaunty

Jaunty 9.04

When I reboot or shutdown the computer I hear a system beep and the computer instantly shuts off. No shut down splash screen just an instant shut down. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this and if it was normal? Also if you are not experiencing this what is your shut down time?

Dell Inspiron 531
    2.6ghz X2 AMD
    2gigs of ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Beep and Instant Shutdown - Jaunty

I have an old Dell 600m laptop that reacts quite differently. When I shut down I get a dialog box with a countdown timer that give me 60 seconds to abort the shutdown or start the shut-down immediately. When it does start I get four beeps. I was on here looking to see if all the beeps were some kind of error code like the BIOS can give during it's POST.

Beans

The only time when my computer has produced a system beep and instantly shut itself down is when my processor was overheating.

Beans

I have recently upgraded from 8.010 to 9.04.Previously,it was an almost instant shutdown with no dialogue box.Now,in 9.04, it displays a box with 60 second timer and also a beep sound.Is it good or bad? That is a question.

Beans
    Distro

In 8.10 it took around 8 seconds to shut down no its 0 seconds I think it may be a bug. Can an OS shut down properly in 0 seconds?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by suresnjain View Post
    I have recently upgraded from 8.010 to 9.04.Previously,it was an almost instant shutdown with no dialogue box.Now,in 9.04, it displays a box with 60 second timer and also a beep sound.Is it good or bad? That is a question.
    I've learned how to stop the timer. Right-click on your username on the top panel and select preferences. Then you can uncheck the box titled "show confirm dialog boxes...." and that disables it.

I still haven't determined if the beeps on shutdown are a signal of anything wrong or if Manpoole's instant off is a problem either =(

Beans
    Distro

well i may try to email the developers to get a definite answer. Any one with two gigs of ram and x2 amd let me know what your shudown times are thanks.

Jon

Beans

I have the beep and instant shutdown as well. Interestingly, Jaunty installed with no problem; but after a day of app installs and working on the machine, the bug appeared.

Happens on shutdown and restart, hangs power supply - requiring manual power-down. Bad.

Beans
    Distro

still haven't got around to emailing the developers, devicer do you have a dell by any chance?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DustyMP View Post
    I've learned how to stop the timer. Right-click on your username on the top panel and select preferences. Then you can uncheck the box titled "show confirm dialog boxes...." and that disables it.

I still haven't determined if the beeps on shutdown are a signal of anything wrong or if Manpoole's instant off is a problem either =(
    Have done as per this quote and now that dialogue box is gone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast