Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiling Ogg Vorbis encoder (libvorbis) with AoTuV tuning

Beans

Re: Compiling Ogg Vorbis encoder (libvorbis) with AoTuV tuning

If anyone knows how to upgrade from these versions to the source code I downloaded (i.e. my first question), do let me know!
    I guess that would depend on what you are actually looking to do.

If it's to have an oggenc (vorbis-tools) that use the AoTuV tuned libvorbis without touching the current installed libvorbis shared libs then that's very simple. (just did so on maverick

If you're looking to use a specific app that uses libvorbis then it would depend on the app (can it be built statically linked to libvorbis.

If you're looking replace your shared vorbis libs with ones built from the tuned source then in theory no problem but the actual libvoris version (of the source) probably would preclude doing so (or break other apps if managed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

If it's to have an oggenc (vorbis-tools) that use the AoTuV tuned libvorbis without touching the current installed libvorbis shared libs then that's very simple. (just did so on maverick

If you're looking to use a specific app that uses libvorbis then it would depend on the app (can it be built statically linked to libvorbis.

If you're looking replace your shared vorbis libs with ones built from the tuned source then in theory no problem but the actual libvoris version (of the source) probably would preclude doing so (or break other apps if managed
    Thanks for that. I've digested the question and got an answer: option one. I just want to use oggenc with the AoTuV modifications. I don't need to touch anything else. How would I do that?

Beans

Very simple and quick.
    What you're going to do is build a static only version of AoTuV tuned libvorbis and install to /usr/local
    (it can be removed afterwards
    The you'll install the build deps for vorbis-tools, after which removing the libvorbis-dev package.
    Finally you get the vorbis-tools source, build and install to usr/local with checkinstall - the oggenc will have built-in encoding support using the tuned libvorbis

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep vorbis-tools
    Also install checkinstall if not already
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install checkinstall
    After done open synaptic, search libvorbis and remove the libvorbis-dev package.
    (not 100% nessasary but i'd do this - if any other -devs are removed a record will be in synaptics history - re-install afterwards as desired

Might as well do this all in one folder, so make a folder in your home directory, I used ogg_build. Take your tuned source, place it in the folder and cd to it in a terminal.
    Ex.
    doug@doug-laptop:~/ogg_build/aotuv-b5.7_20090301$
    Make sure the configure file is executable, either r. click on properties - permissions or
    Code:
    chmod +x configure
    Then a simple configure (if you want to use the Cflags as in prior post do so
    Code:
    ./configure --disable-shared && make
    Then just use make install
    Code:
    sudo make install
    If good
    Code:
    cd .. && apt-get source vorbis-tools
    Then cd to the vorbis-tools folder (will guess it's vorbis-tools-1.2.0 on lucid

Code:
    ./configure && make
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall --backup=no --deldoc=yes  --deldesc=yes \
    --delspec=yes  --default --pkgversion 1.2.1
    (blue is to make a number higher than lucid package

That's it - took me longer to write then it should take you to do.

Test your oggenc, if all is well I'd cd back to the vorbis source and run sudo make uninstall

Quick example - oggenc encode wav to ogg no options
    doug@doug-laptop:~$ oggenc '/home/doug/Music/luckynight.wav' -o /home/doug/Music/luckynight2.ogg
    Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
    Encoding "/home/doug/Music/luckynight.wav" to
    "/home/doug/Music/luckynight2.ogg"
    at quality 3.00
    [ 99.1%] [ 0m00s remaining] |

Done encoding file "/home/doug/Music/luckynight2.ogg"

File length: 1m 00.0s
    Elapsed time: 0m 02.7s
    Rate: 22.3522
    Average bitrate: 106.9 kb/s
    see screen for mediainfo

EDit: anything that uses oggenc will also encode w/ the tuned - soundkonverter is one ex.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; September 14th, 2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: changed a code box for readability

Beans
    Distro

Thanks so much mc4man. I've followed your instructions (mainly understanding what's going on) and it's working nicely now.

One question:
    if all is well I'd cd back to the vorbis source and run sudo make uninstall
    Which one am I uninstalling: vorbis-tools-1.2.0 or the aotuv-b5.7?

Thanks again for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi
    I have added the ppa:towolf repository as shown in post #7.
    I can verify that when I use oggenc it does use the aoTuV version OK.
    But when I use ffmpeg with libvorbis will it automatically use the aoTuV version too?

Beans

Which one am I uninstalling: vorbis-tools-1.2.0 or the aotuv-b5.7?
    Sorry - should have been a bit more clear - remove the aotuv-b5.7? (the one you used the make install on
    While it could stay installed it's only use would be to build some other source against, better to remove and if the need arises just redo.
    oggenc no longer needs it, it now has tuned libvorbis support built-in.

The vorbis-tools package contains oggenc so that should stay installed (the checkinstall package

Beans

I have added the ppa:towolf repository as shown in post #7.
    I can verify that when I use oggenc it does use the aoTuV version OK.
    But when I use ffmpeg with libvorbis will it automatically use the aoTuV version too?
    I'd guess so, - if ffmpeg uses the shared libvorbis when encoding.
    If you built ffmpeg previously using the standard libvorbis-dev then not sure what effect that would have when replacing the shared repo libvorbis with the tuned (ppa) one, guess you'd need to see.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi
    I suppose it was a dumb question really.
    Now I've looked in Synaptic the original versions of the libvorbis programs have disappeared.
    The four packages are now all 1.2.2+aotuv-b5.7-OubuntuO~ppa9 versions.
    libvorbisOa
    libvorbis-dev
    libvorbisenc2
    libvorbisfile3

And ffmpeg is functioning OK with libvorbis commands.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Compiling Ogg Vorbis encoder (libvorbis) with AoTuV tuning

Finally think I understand what we've done. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1)
    Code:
    ./configure --disable-shared && make
    This installs aotuv to /usr/local rather than /usr/shared. I wasn't able to install it the first time because it couldn't overwrite certain files in /usr/shared.

2)
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall --backup=no --deldoc=yes  --deldesc=yes \
    --delspec=yes  --default --pkgversion 1.2.1
    I don't understand all these options, but this creates a version of vorbis-tools that with a higher version than the one shipped as standard (so it supercedes it), which uses aotuv which temporarily lived at /usr/shared.

Aotuv package can be removed after step two, because vorbis-tools used it during installation but doesn't during usage.

Beans

Finally think I understand what we've done. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    That's pretty much it.
    Aotuv package can be removed after step two, because vorbis-tools used it during compiling but doesn't during usage.
    By using a static build of Aotuv (--disable-shared), vorbis-tools was built statically linked to Aotuv, ie, Aotuv is now part of oggenc so it doesn't need or use a shared libvorbis anymore.
    It makes vorbis-tools (oggenc) slightly larger, in this case an insignificant amount.

The checkinstall options just remove some build/packaging files you don't need - del = delete

(I did test the modified oggenc with soundkonverter to rip a cd to ogg - worked out fine
    Last edited by mc4man; September 30th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast