Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ATI Driver woes...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Red face Re: ATI Driver woes...

Hey everyone!
    I've got a similar problem: I just bought an HP DV4 1220, ATi Radeon HD 3200. As I had just downloaded U9.4 to try it on my old Acer Aspire 3050, I also tried it on the HP. I'm migrating from U8.10, which worked so well for me. Now, 9.04 worls well on the Acer, but on my HP the screen flicker at the native 1200x800 resolution (16:10), but if I bring it down to the horrible 1280x764 it works well. This happens on my HP with both 8.10 and 9.04. I tried Mandriva Powerpack, and this doesn't happen, it works well. OpenSUsE 11.1 also works well, but I want Ubuntu 9.04!!!!!
    Help, anyone?

Thx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ATI Driver woes...

So, anyone tried downgrade? I'll do it tommorow and report here, but if anyone have experience in it - please speak It seems that alot of people suffers from this problem...and we really need solution

Beans

I have a HP dc5850 which has a ATI Radeon 3100 (on board), if i'm not wrong it's not on the list of legacy drivers (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...1&lang=English)

When I try to download the newest driver from the website it says that 9.4 is compatible. But when I install this driver I get the black screen after splash.

To get it to work again I have to remove and go back to the open-source driver.
    Normaly I wouldn't complain, but i'm getting horrible performance issues.
    Xorg process regulary get to over 90%, i'm thinking it's because of that open-source driver.

Does anyone have a solution?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ilmar View Post
    So, anyone tried downgrade? I'll do it tommorow and report here, but if anyone have experience in it - please speak It seems that alot of people suffers from this problem...and we really need solution
    I tried to do it in my manner today. I've added the 8.04 Hardy repositories into sources.list, removed xserver-xorg-core, and then tried to install the version 1.4.1 from the Hardy repository... It didn't work, it says that needs xserver-xorg to work together... and when I try to install it, it says that it's going to remove a lot of packages, almost all the ones that come with Ubuntu (ubuntu-desktop, brasero, gnome, etc...). So I installed the normal version of xserver-xorg-core again.

Later I'm gonna try to do the way Maxwell supposed. Actually, I don't know what I should do to compile it by myself.
    Last edited by Renan Decarlo; April 27th, 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Renan Decarlo View Post
    I tried to do it in my manner today. I've added the 8.04 Hardy repositories into sources.list, removed xserver-xorg-core, and then tried to install the version 1.4.1 from the Hardy repository... It didn't work, it says that needs xserver-xorg to work together... and when I try to install it, it says that it's going to remove a lot of packages, almost all the ones that come with Ubuntu (ubuntu-desktop, brasero, gnome, etc...). So I installed the normal version of xserver-xorg-core again.

Later I'm gonna try to do the way Maxwell supposed. Actually, I don't know what I should do to compile it by myself.
    Oh thanks Damn, googling again

Beans
    Distro

seems it just like I've predicted

Quote Originally Posted by gocek View Post
    Are you sure it's that simple?
    I personally believe that you won't find packages for Jaunty. Of course, there're packages for X.Org 1.5 for Intrepid and 1.6 for Jaunty but they won't work when mixed.

I see two options:
    1.) wait for somebody to make a .deb package with X.Org Server 1.6 for Jaunty
    2.) download the sources and compile it yourself, but I bet you'll run in many dependency problems.

correct me if I'm wrong
    Anyways:
    option 2) isn't easy, just so you know. You'll probably crash your system, so I strongly recommend playing with X.Org compilation on a fresh Ubuntu install (might be by Wubi or VMware or something similar).

But the source is here:
    http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Rel...direct=Mirrors
    the main page is: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/

And the version you need is 7.4, it has xorg-server-1.5.1.tar.bz2 if you look closely. But as far as I know it's required to compile everything else and there is a lot of packages

EDIT:
    I found this interesting guide: http://damnsmalllinux.org/f/topic-3-26-16260-0.html
    It's not really a HowTo for ubuntu nor for X.Org 7.4 but it gives you and idea where to start.
    So basically:
    1) get packages for compiling things: sudo apt-get install build-essential
    2) download the everything directory from e.g. ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/xorg/X11R7.4/src/
    3) unpack them and configure that's the most tricky step :>
    I'm still not sure whether you need all the packages or maybe just some of them. Probably most of them depend on each other and won't work with newer versions. BUT, you might try to download only ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/xorg/X11R7.4/src/xserver/ configure it and try to install and check what happens

EDIT2:
    two more interesting links:
    some hints about dependency: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764778
    installing instructions: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...nstalling.html
    Last edited by gocek; April 28th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down Re: ATI Driver woes...

Hello again, dunno if this'll help.
    I've been tinkering with Ubuntu 9.4. True, when I had just installed it, it didn't show any sings of realizing there was an ATi card in the system. So, I just went right ahead and installed the latest ATi driver from their website, version 9.4. A reboot later, everything was working a-ok.
    I guess that's the way to go, just use the ATi drivers -new or legacy- you have and install them even w/o prompt. Then reboot and post again. Thx for reading!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zampes View Post
    I've been tinkering with Ubuntu 9.4. True, when I had just installed it, it didn't show any sings of realizing there was an ATi card in the system. So, I just went right ahead and installed the latest ATi driver from their website, version 9.4. A reboot later, everything was working a-ok.
    I guess that's the way to go, just use the ATi drivers -new or legacy- you have and install them even w/o prompt. Then reboot and post again. Thx for reading!
    Not all ATI drivers are unsupported. What's yours?
    The old one doesn't work, as it do only support xorg-server 1.5 and Ubuntu 9.04 is using xorg-server 1.6.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zampes View Post
    I did such thing - after it i cannot boot in graphic mode at all.
    Last edited by ilmar; April 30th, 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Re: ATI Driver woes...

to whom it may concern mint 8 has this same issue.

I have a Dell Dimension E510 with 128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE

I really wish I could get a video driver that supports OpenGL this PC is a media center PC and would really like use linux instead of Winblows.

until there is a fix I will roll back to the previous LTS.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234