Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9.04 install bug (showstopper): please insert the disc labeled ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: 9.04 install bug (showstopper): please insert the disc labeled ubuntu 9.04

Had this same problem on two completely different machines. On an older machine, I had two cdrom units and had to run the installer from the secondary one since it failed on the primary. (IDE CDROM and IDE HDD).

The newer machine (A Dell Optiplex 745) has SATA CDROM and hard disks. I ended up installing from an external USB CDROM on that machine.

Does anyone know if a bug has been filed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm getting the same error. I installed 8.04 on my Asus Eee 1000 last year, then just let the upgrades happen. Now, when I try to install programs, I get the 'please insert' message.

Beans

I have witnessed this issue on both ubuntu-server 8.10 and 9.10. Intrigued by gapmans response (which didnt work for me) I looked for another hardware solution.
    I was using IDE CD drive, but SATA HD. My fix was to replace the SATA HD with an IDE HD.

Beans

I have the same problem with a NEC DVD_RW ND-36550a 1.05 drive on ubuntu 9.10 alternate install. i verified the cd and reburned 3x last time @ 1x. every time I get the same error. Im also noticing sense code rear errors. Verified md5 of cd and did verify cd from install menu.... this is apparently some sort of hardware control bug that has been present for a while now
    Quote Originally Posted by kmclaugh View Post
    I have the same issue and I've tried both SATA and IDE cdrom drives. My setup is as follows:

3 Sata HDD's:

Two RAID's I've labeled as #0 and #1, both formatted to ext3.

/dev/sda1 - /boot
    /dev/sda2 - / (as raid0 - #0)
    /dev/sda3 - swap (as raid0 - #1)
    /dev/sda4 - unmounted

/dev/sdb1 - / (as raid0 - #0)
    /dev/sdb2 - swap (as raid0 - #1)

/dev/sdc1 - unmounted

I've failed with the disc, which i burned at 1x using imageburn on an NEC drive. I verified it with imageburn and I verified the md5sum against the published value.

So in my more recent experiment, after the cdrom is mounted in the installer, i ALT+CTRL+F2, unmount /cdrom. I mount /dev/sdc1 which is ext3 and has the installer iso. I use mount /foo/bar.iso /cdrom -o loop.

It friggin worked!!

Random question: Are all the others here that have had problems doing anything with RAID? I saw some mention of LVM. Might this be the common denominator?

Beans

I hit the bug installing 9.10 (karmic) on a Intel desktop. I was not using RAID, but I was installing to LVM. I worked around the problem by umounting the CD and mounting an identical volume on USB key in the same place.

I am not sure about the history of the machine I am working on. The gigabyte motherboard has an option to boot from USB, but it actually doesn't work. It only boots from CDROM and hard drives. Maybe flaky?

Beans
    Hidden!

Same happening for me on 9.10 alt install CD. The loop-mount of the ISO file off of a USB fob is *NOT* fixing the problem for me

My set-up:
    IDE CD-ROM driver
    2x SATA HDD's
    sda1 - RAID1 md0 ext2 for /boot
    sda2 - unusued (will become WinXP)
    sda3 - swap
    sda5 - RAID1 md1 ext4 for /
    sda6 - unusued (will be RAID1 data)

sdb is identical.

As I say, I've put the ISO on to a usb kep and loop-mounted it at /cdrom/ in place of the disc (and confirmed it's there), but the Media Change dialogue will not clear.

My initial attempts at install included trying to set up md2 (sda6/sdb6) as a crypt-disk, but that failed when it detected my swap wasn't encrypted, and trying to encrypt the swap just didn't do anything. Wondering if this hiccup had caused the problem I started from scratch without touching any ot the crypt-disk stuff, but it still failed in the same way.

I don't have a SATA CD-ROM handy, so I'm completely stuck at the moment.

How has this install show-stopper remained since 8.10?

--Dave

UPDATE: Finally got it installed using a bootable USB drive.
    This https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/360460 ..suggests it's a problem with certain DVD drives. For the record, mine is a SONY DVD-RW AW-G170A.
    Last edited by dfluff; November 19th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Beans

Adding more data to the pile...

I am attempting to install Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit server to an old AthlonXP box with IDE DVD+RW and IDE 200GB HDD. I selected the default LVM on whole disk option my second attempt. I selected the whole disk option without LVM on my first attempt. The results are the same. I get to 76% and the CDROM dies. I can't even eject the disk by physically pressing the eject button on the drive. I even removed the floppy and the second IDE drive between the first and second attempts so that IDE0 is a single primary HDD and IDE1 is a single primary DVD+RW drive.

After I returned to the computer, powered it down, powered it back up, the HDD (which was verifiably functional before) is making crazy noises and is not recognized by the BIOS. It's hot to the touch, but is in an open case with plenty of air.

I tried an old IDE CDROM (no DVD/no write) and a different IDE hard drive (160GB this time), same cables and locations. This time it installed without an issue.

It seems to be related to specific hardware. I'm assuming that whatever happened killed my HDD, but it's possible the HDD died coincidentally instead.

I hope this sheds some light on things.
    Last edited by mightypile; January 13th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

I had the same problem, USB didn't fix it for me.

What I did to work around it is this:

Start installation from CD as normal, then when it hits the point when it asks you for the first time to make a selection(say enter host name), switch to console and mount USB drive int /cdrom
    That helped me circumvent that frigging dialog... hope it works for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by dfluff View Post
    Same happening for me on 9.10 alt install CD. The loop-mount of the ISO file off of a USB fob is *NOT* fixing the problem for me

My set-up:
    IDE CD-ROM driver
    2x SATA HDD's
    sda1 - RAID1 md0 ext2 for /boot
    sda2 - unusued (will become WinXP)
    sda3 - swap
    sda5 - RAID1 md1 ext4 for /
    sda6 - unusued (will be RAID1 data)

sdb is identical.

As I say, I've put the ISO on to a usb kep and loop-mounted it at /cdrom/ in place of the disc (and confirmed it's there), but the Media Change dialogue will not clear.

My initial attempts at install included trying to set up md2 (sda6/sdb6) as a crypt-disk, but that failed when it detected my swap wasn't encrypted, and trying to encrypt the swap just didn't do anything. Wondering if this hiccup had caused the problem I started from scratch without touching any ot the crypt-disk stuff, but it still failed in the same way.

I don't have a SATA CD-ROM handy, so I'm completely stuck at the moment.

How has this install show-stopper remained since 8.10?

--Dave

UPDATE: Finally got it installed using a bootable USB drive.
    This https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/360460 ..suggests it's a problem with certain DVD drives. For the record, mine is a SONY DVD-RW AW-G170A.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icephoenix View Post
    Start installation from CD as normal, then when it hits the point when it asks you for the first time to make a selection(say enter host name), switch to console and mount USB drive int /cdrom
    That helped me circumvent that frigging dialog... hope it works for you too.
    I'm pretty new to Ubuntu here, and I'm getting this same error. When you say, switch to console, how exactly do you do that? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ALT + CTRL + F#,
    F7 gives you graphics. F2-F6 non-graphical terminals.

Hope that helps!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast