Thread: Deaf Users.

Beans

Deaf Users.

Hello my fellow ubuntu users! I hope this day meets you with great promises of wealth and happyness.

I come to you today for a very specific reason. While I myself am not deaf, I am studying the opportunities that opensource solutions like ubuntu offer for deaf users. However I find information rather hard to find. So far I have found several suggestions to include vidoes in the help files in ASL, the numerous repos that include low hassle video phone, and s/mplayers ability to force subtitles(or rather, its early support of it).

What I'm wondering is what else there is out there? I've been at this for a while, but I can't find too much info. I've been digging around and found a little info about translating parts of ubuntu into ASL, but that's about it.

Any help?

Also, if you are a deaf user, that would be most awesome.

Beans

Re: Deaf Users.

Just a post 24 hours bump.

Beans

The lack of response speaks for itself it seems

Just want to point to the following subforum that may be of help.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145

Good luck.

Beans

What do you mean by forced subtitles, do you mean some speech to text engine or how to display subs from a file.

Code:
    man mplayer
    shows to that "F" toggles "forced-subtitles", that one looks for a file and reads from it. If no subs file is present, it "F" has no effect.