Thread: Router log to Ubuntu syslog

Beans

Router log to Ubuntu syslog

Hi all,

I have a D-link DIR-655 router which enables me to send the logging to a syslog server. Since my Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server runs a syslog daemon, I thought it would be nice to set this up. So what did I do?

1. In my router, I enables the syslog function, pointing to Ubuntu server: 192.168.1.1
    2. Then I changed /etc/syslog.conf and added the line: System3.* /var/log/router.log
    3. Changed /etc/default/syslogd and made sure the syslog server runs at SYSLOGD="-r" (to enable remote hosts)
    4. Created the file /var/log/router.log

But unfortunately no entries are written to the router.log file. Am I doing something wrong?

[edit]
    After checking the /var/log/syslog file, I found out that the router indeed writes logging to Ubuntu, since I found the next line;

Code:
    Apr 25 11:30:52 192.168.1.100 Fri Apr 24 10:30:07 2009 D-Link Systems DIR-655 System Log: Blocked incoming UDP packet from 76.193.168.74:6346 to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:45594
    So the only thing I need to do now is to filter messages from the router and write them to router.log. I thought the line "System3.* /var/log/router.log" would do that, but unfortunately it doesn't. How can I determine the 'facility'-name from the router?
    Last edited by smeerbartje; April 25th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Beans

Re: Router log to Ubuntu syslog

I have a similar issue. I got my firewall logging to my ubuntu server, however it's logging to /var/log/syslog and I'd like it to log into its own log file. anyone know how to do that?

~Scott

Beans

Try

104.info /var/log/router.log

in your /etc/syslog.conf file. It worked for me with the D-Link DIR-655 router. My only problem now is that the router log information (router.log) is duplicated in the syslog file.

Any one no how I can fix this problem of duplicating log entries?

Chip

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It would be nice to include something along this line for the new
    rsyslogd
    since that seems to be the new default.