Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install the base system - debootstrap warning

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Install the base system - debootstrap warning

Installing Jaunty with the alternative CD.
    After the installer copies the required files and starts installing, I get the error:
    Code:
    [!!] Install the base system
    Debootstrap warning
    Warning: Failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --forge-depends
    --install /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.14.24ubuntu1_i386.deb
    If I press <continue> on that window, the next says:
    Code:
    Base system installation error
    The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 1).
    Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.
    The next error window says:
    Code:
    Install to /target failed...
    Console 4 says:
    Code:
    debootstrap: dpkg-deb: subprocess <decompress> killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
    debootstrap: dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives...
    debootstrap: short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during './usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/dpkg.mo')
    kernel: [...]: segfault at bfba000 ip 08066580sp bfb9d1c0 error 6 in dpkg-deb[...]
    debootstrap: Error were encountered while processing:
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Install the base system - debootstrap warning

bump

Beans

I have the same Debootstrap Warning problem. Only it shows various times the message with different filenames.

Any help?

Beans

Same problem here,

I wanted to make a raid system, but its not working this way. It keeps telling me to install the base continuesly...

Apparantly it also happens with the server edition....
    Last edited by groen; April 26th, 2009 at 05:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I figured out what the probably cause of the error is.
    Memtest fails horrendously, I'll RMA this RAM and try her again another time.

Beans

My memory seems to be ok.

I wonder if that is the problem. Please write your newer experiences in this thread since I get emails when someone writes in it.

Thanks

Beans

I am installing from another HD, with the alternate iso (using vmlinuz and initrd.gz and a new grub entry), and I have no raid. Just two independent HDs (linux partition is on the first HD and the iso is on the second one).

And I already tried tons of times, and ALWAYS the same debootstrap warnings of corrupt files.

I will accept any help of suggestions.

Beans

Hi Kidaf,

First I tried the 64bit desktop with ext4 raid. I had some problems and installed the desktop 32bit. Was ok, but I could not create raid partitions from the installer ( I wanted swap on raid5, aswell as the /, /boot, /home). Then I tried the 32bit alternate.
    Humm, Now I could make nice raid5 partitions using 4 disks.The problems started when I tried to install the base onto it. Well that didn't came our right. One whole day wasted....
    The next day I tried the server 32bit. Hee, I could make raid partitions again. Then I tried to install the base. Well, no luck. Again same problem.

Solution:

Installation of 32bit desktop Jaunty. Made some raid5 partitions using ext3 (not ext4). And this is running at the moment.

Reasonable stable. Although when I click on power management, the whole computer freezes. Removed program from the installation. Oh, I boot from a flash ide disk (4gigs). Installation is about 2 gigs. I'm not yet finished with the installation - have to move some directories to the disks (like /home, /var etc.).

But my first important thing is to use the system to offload and backup photo's from another computer.

I hope you understand a little more now. This Ubuntu is not really tested when released.

Cheers,

Beans

I am already trying with 32, not 64. Also, I don't even try to make raid with my disks. And I just try to install with ext3, not ext4.

So, I try from the begining what you used to solve, but I have the Debootstrap Warnings of corrput files. And the iso md5sum is OK!

Beans

do you use the desktop installation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast