Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Workaround to get sound on HP mini 1000 (or 1120 NR) with Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Workaround to get sound on HP mini 1000 (or 1120 NR) with Jaunty

9.04, sorry.

Edit: I undid all of the changes to my computer that would make my microphone work, but I still have no sound. I had a hunch anyway that that was not the problem, I randomly was no longer able to make calls in skype because of audio problems.

Edit 2: Sound randomly started working again. I still have all of the changes to fix the mic removed. Do you know of a different way to make the internal mic working without messing up the sound? Do you even think the changes were related to the sound going out? Thanks a lot...i know this is a lot to deal with.
    Last edited by kevindubrow; May 4th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
    HP Mini 1020nr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tested my internal mic and it doesn't work with the fix I posted earlier. That's about what I expected. The focus so far seems to be more on the no sound from the speaker issue. There was a recent posting here that involves trying an update to the alsa driver, but that fix had it's own issues with volume control for me.
    Last edited by mozillar; May 7th, 2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: I have removed this fix because it does not resolve the sound issue on the HP 1120.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Yeah, I'll try it tonight and edit this post to get back to you. Should I remove the fix you gave me first? If so, how should I go about doing that seeing as the package manager gave me a ton of extra packages when I selected the two you mentioned.

Oh and you want me to try the microphone fix after I use the fix from the link you just gave me, right?
    Last edited by kevindubrow; May 4th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
    HP Mini 1020nr

Beans
    Distro

Removing the original fix would probably be best.

In Synaptic..Settings..Repositories: remove the two repos you added per my original fix. Then click reload.
    In Synaptic..File..History: see what packages were added

I expect that will include:
    + alsa-source (1.0.19.dfsg-3ubuntu0~ppa0)
    + build-essential (11.4)
    + debconf-utils (1.5.26ubuntu3)
    + debhelper (7.0.17ubuntu4)
    + dpkg-dev (1.14.24ubuntu1)
    + fakeroot (1.12.1ubuntu1)
    + g++ (4:4.3.3-1ubuntu1)
    + g++-4.3 (4.3.3-5ubuntu4)
    + gettext (0.17-6ubuntu2)
    + html2text (1.3.2a-5)
    + intltool-debian (0.35.0+20060710.1)
    + kernel-package (11.015)
    + libmail-sendmail-perl (0.79.16-1)
    + libstdc++6-4.3-dev (4.3.3-5ubuntu4)
    + libsys-hostname-long-perl (1.4-2)
    + module-assistant (0.10.11ubuntu1)
    + patch (2.5.9-5)
    + po-debconf (1.0.15ubuntu1)

And these packages were likely updated:
    + alsa-base (1.0.18.dfsg-1ubuntu8) to 1.0.19.dfsg-3ubuntu0~ppa0
    + alsa-utils (1.0.18-1ubuntu11) to 1.0.19-2ubuntu0~ppa0
    + gdm (2.20.10-0ubuntu2) to 2.20.10-0ubuntu3~ppa0~xses1
    + libasound2 (1.0.18-1ubuntu9) to 1.0.19-1ubuntu0~ppa0
    + linux-sound-base (1.0.18.dfsg-1ubuntu8) to 1.0.19.dfsg-3ubuntu0~ppa0

Remove the packages that were added ONLY.

Also click the Status button and look under the Installed (local or obsolete) section. If alsa-modules-2.6.28-11-generic is there, you can safely remove it. You should now be back where you started from.

Yeah, it's a lot of work. I'm hoping the update to alsa will be a less involved way of fixing the sound issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I'm just going to keep a log of what happens:

Ok, I removed every package you mentioned, including the one in the Installed (local or obsolete) section.

I restarted. When everything loaded up, the front and headphone controls in the volume control were still muted at start up like they were when I had your fix installed. When I unmuted them, I had no sound so I ignored it as anything.

After running the sudo dpkg -i alsa-driver-linuxant_1.0.19.2_all.deb command from the steps given in the link, the terminal hung for awhile before I got an error box that said "volume control has shut down unexpectedly. Reload. Don't reload." I picked don't reload and the speaker icon disappeared from the taskbar. After this happened, the terminal was done with the process that it was hanging on.

I was supposed to add "options snd-hda-intel model=laptop" to "the end of the alsa-base file" but there was nothing in it...so I couldn't really put it in at the end...I just threw it in there and hit save.

I then had to add "options snd-hda-intel model=laptop" (the same thing) to the "end of the options file" but yet again, there was nothing previously in there so I just threw it in there and saved.

I restarted the computer according to the steps, and still noticed that there was no speaker icon in the taskbar.

I opened the sound manager through the terminal like the steps told me and unmuted everything and I have sound.

-Just some issues though.

I have no sound icon, whys that?

My volume bar (via the volume up and down buttons on the keyboard) only goes halfway down before I can not hear anything from the speakers.

Ok, I'm glad this worked! Now...shuld I try to see if that microphone fix works?
    HP Mini 1020nr

Beans
    Distro

Your alsa-base.conf file should not have been empty. I think you created a new alsa-base. when you wanted alsa-base.conf

/etc/modprode.d/alsa-base.conf is the full path to the file

As for the missing volume control, I've got no idea.

I took another look at the mic fix you originally tried. You can try implementing that again, but I have a feeling some of those changes will overwrite/break the speaker fix you just applied, especially the alsa-base package. So for the time being, you may have to choose speaker sound over the mic. I hoping some progress can be made on bug #318942 soon, so there isn't this trade-off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

The file you told me about in your last post didn't exist on my computer.

I used the terminal to open the alsa file, but when I tried to add the options snd-hda-intel model=laptop line to it, I got an error that said that the file did not exist.
    HP Mini 1020nr

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I am stumped then. If you find a solution, please post back here.

If/when Ubuntu releases a fix, I will post it here as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Sure thing. Thanks a lot for the help!
    HP Mini 1020nr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sadly I tried everything on this thread and read every related post I could find, still nothing, I made a bootable usb drive with 8.4 on it and tried it on my mini and like I expected there was not a problem with sound at all, or anything else for that matter, so I decided to install it and now my wireless isn't working Dx
    When i click connect to network and after I enter in the encryption key and click connect it seems like rejects my key after a while even though I've checked a thousand times it's typed in correctly, weird.

The proprietary drivers for my card where disabled by default, after enabling them and rebooting it still won't connect.
    Last edited by Downtuned; May 5th, 2009 at 09:05 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast