Thread: Recommendations for Flash Software?

Beans

Recommendations for Flash Software?

Hi I am xHalloweenx,

I was wonder if anyone knows any good Flash Software for linux.
    I have never coded Flash before, but I am wanting to learn it.
    I am not new to web development, I currently code HTML/CSS/PHP.
    I use the latest version of Ubuntu 9.04.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I did search , everything I pretty well found though was abandoned software.

I was also unsure as to where this should be posted, Flash falls under multiple categories. Some of your categories confuse me as well. If this is the wrong section please let me know or move my thread please, thanks.

Thanks for all your time and patience,
    - xHalloweenx

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Recommendations for Flash Software?

If you want Flash for website animations, I reallt suggest you to learn JavaScript. Flash sites are annoying and less functional than pure HTML+CSS+JS (screen readers, history navigation and text selection don't work in Flash). Take a look at those JS frameworks like jQuery and Scriptaculous.

If you really want Flash, take a look at Flex Builder. It is a plug-in for Eclipse IDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Recommendations for Flash Software?

Well I hate to say this, but if you are serious about flash development, get a PC or a Mac. If you have the cash, macs are the way to go. However, there is simply nothing like the workflow that adobe provides in their creative suite, and it is the industry standard.

Also, another bummer is that the flash players for linux are awful. They are slow and full of bugs.

There are however a couple of compilers you can use if you just want to learn action script.

swftools
    http://www.mtasc.org/